A few fitness noob diet questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ZeeMox, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

I've only recently (3 days ago) gotten a gym membership for after work and a bike to get around with instead of a car. I have a few small questions that have cropped up since I started...

1. What nutritional supplements should I be taking? My trainer told me to take someone, but not which ones.

2. I have trouble keeping my heart rate where it should be. During my cardio, I'm generally at 160-170. I understand this is what people tend to do for actual cardio training. If it goes into the cardio training zone, am I not losing very much weight that way? May seem like a dumb question, but I'm going from having virtually never worked out to going 6 days a week.

3. This is the biggest one for me... meals. I know I'm supposed to eat 5 meals a day. I already decided to interject this stuff (click) in between meals so I go from 3 to 5. But for the regular 3 meals, what should I be eating? I've seen recipes in the Off-Topic forum for low calorie meals, and even deserts. I just didn't think to keep any of them.

Appreciate any help I can get :hs:

I'm 18, 5'5, 185 lbs, hoping to get back down to 140 or so. I can hold my weight alright, so it's hard to tell I'm as overweight as I am, but I can feel it.

Current routine:
    i do a 10 minute cardio warm-up, then about 30 mins of weights and 30 mins of cardio. The goal is mostly weight loss. I want to be fit, but not bulging with muscles necessarily.

Current diet: Whatever I had in the freezer before I started this. As of yet, I've had no real advice on it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. ZeeMox

Edit: added this to the first post.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  3. ZeeMox

Don't know a ton about the last 3. Should those be mixed into a shake or something? Any suggestions on a multivitamin?

4. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Oops, here you are. Start with posting your stats...age, height, weight. Your goals, and the routine you are going to do and what you are eating. Then the guys should be able to critique.

5. ZeeMox

ah, cool. I added that to the first post.

6. ZeeMox

Some more advice I got today... I've been told to work do weights once every other day, since it's during resting periods that muscles rebuild. Is this good advice?

Was also told to take the size of my palm, eat that size helping of meat, that size helping of veggies, and that size helping of fruit for every meal. Sounds like protein overkill to me... any thoughts?

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

:eek5:

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I don't particularly like putting food in my hand, but that might work. Most food you'll eat at home comes in a package, and it'll tell you how much protein/calories per serving and what the serving size is. If you're eating 5 meals a day you want to aim for around 34g protein per meal (1g protein/lb body weight).

Yes, allowing your body/muscles to recover between weight training sessions is important, for now I'd stick with the 1 day on/1 day off thing you were told. Find a suitable routine for yourself that works all of your body parts (arms/shoulders/chest/back/legs). You want to space out your cardio and weight training sessions so that you're not doing them at the same time, concentrate on weight training then a couple hours later do cardio (or vice versa).

9. ZeeMox

I'm not going to stick anything in my hand either, but I can probably tell. What's the benefit of spacing out cardio and weights?

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

nope, but 140?

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

ability to stay fed properly, time for hormonal & central nervous system levels to restore, etc etc etc

12. ZeeMox

Too low or not low enough? I was under the impression that's the healthy range for my height. It's not as though I'm trying to make this happen in a matter of weeks.

13. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Here is a food list.. Depending on your goals and how fast you want to get there...you may want to drop dairy and fruit altogether. Full-fat mayo is better than fat-free. I suggest whole foods too...none of that low-carb stuff unless its a whey isolate. BTW, i really like ON for whey but have moved on to Whey Isolate from www.allthewhey.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stella9.htm

And here is good thread on a cutting diet

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=75729

And if you want a fully structured workout, i started out on max-ot and it put alot of size and strength on me quick. Easy to follow structure and it teaches you a good mentality about working out.

http://www.ast-ss.com/

Tomorrow i will have finished my 3rd week of swolegenix and its totally different from all the above. I don't even have to think about things now...just do it. I have the confidence that every rep i do in the gym and every meal i eat is with purpose. Its great so far. Got a compliment in the gym today too. :bowdown:

14. ZeeMox

Thanks! Lots of good info there. The bodybuilding.com site and that unofficial cutting guide after seem to collide, but I'm sure I can find a middle ground that works for me. As for the ast-ss.com place, there is a LOT of good stuff there. Much appreciated.

15. ZeeMox

How do I check my bf%? I've heard that home scales that check it for you are very inaccurate. Unfortunately, I've not had an alternative recommended.

16. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

id sya for workouts you are starting out fine, but start eating healtheir instead of taking whatever is in your freezer.

fruits
    vegetables
    Protein - lots of protein!!! chciken, turkey, fish, beef etc (make friends with them) get lean cuts of meat.

for results, your change must always start in the kitchen!

good luck

17. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Yes the sites do conflict. Like i mentioned before, there are so many ways to get to where you want, but do the research and give this one method you select a decent amount of time. I would definitely lean towards what is said in the cutting thread.

I also like separating cardio from weights by at least 8 hours. This is mentioned fairly often all over the place (even in max-ot). Think about this...if you do cardio first, then your bodies resources would have been used too much for you to have a thorough workout. Conversely, if you workout first then cardio, you are neglecting the most opportune time to introduce proper macronutrients into your body. Your body is primed for protein intake as soon as you finish your last rep. Have a PWO shake as indicated in the cutting sticky. This is the best time to kick start the body's repair/rebuild processes.

18. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

You are going to find several methods pretty inaccurate. The best thing is to take pics, maybe every two weeks.

19. ZeeMox

So basically I want to do solely cardio one day, solely weights the next?

20. ZeeMox

Rather than open a new thread, I'll ask in this one.

Looks like people say if you I go over my target heart rate (147 or something) that I'll start burning muscle. Can this even be true if I still have PLENTY of fat left? I could see it happening to someone with a low bf%, but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.