A DVD full of MP3's (not what you'd expect)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by delussional77, Jul 29, 2008.

1. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

Okay everyone,

Here is my problem:

I have a Cadillac that has a 6-disc CD changer that will not play mp3's (only burned audio CD's...so like 15-20 songs at max). It also has a functional DVD player that will play burned DVD's but not burned DVD's with MP3's on it.

I was hoping that somebody might have a solution for me that will allow my mp3's to be played on the DVD player.

My thought process was this:

I know that the Caddy DVD player will play burned video discs (full of music videos). So I know that you can create .avi's into a playable DVD disc. My thought was that I could somehow convert my .mp3's into .avi's, and then from there burn them to a playable DVD.

Any thoughts on this? I can't seem to find much information on converting .mp3's into a playable .avi format.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

why not just convert them to wav, make an audio cd/dvd from the mp3's...

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

buy an ipod and vehicle adapter. problem solved.

4. delussional77

thats a $400 solution, problem not really solved

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$250 or less, really.

6. delussional77

there are only two decent Ipod adapter kits, both are $200

plus the price of an IPOD

that still doesn't solve my problem. I'd rather solve the burned DVD issue....

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$150 for an ipod nano 4g.

I got an adapter for my chevy for $20 (kenwood hu), and $60 for my toyota (stock 6disc changer headunit).

Your dvd issue is solved by my suggestion. You've already said you can't do exactly what you want to do. Therefore you're either here to be a whinny bitch, or you're stupid. Of course this can be remedied by coming back to reality.

There has to be some compromise otherwise you'll never get that functionality.

8. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

If you have auxillary inputs on the back of the deck you can put a headphone to rca cable from the ipod to the deck. This is what I did in my eclipse and it worked great. It was about 10 bucks for the CD changer to RCA adapter piece and then 3 dollars for the headphone to rca cable. Cheapest fix if you have a deck that allows for cd changer controlling.

9. delussional77

no aux inputs available

:rolleyes:

How does this suggestion at all help answer my question of adding mp3's onto a burned DVD?

I don't have any desire to spend $350 to fix this problem. The only way your suggestion could be any worse is if you say that I should purchase a $1k navigation head unit. Hell, maybe I should just sell my car and buy a different one that plays mp3's.

I'm not a "whinny" bitch, nor am I stupid. Your suggestion clearly had very little thought behind it and certainly didn't addess my situation.

stay the fuck out of my thread asshole :ugh:

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You demand things that cannot be done. Clearly you're stupid.

11. delussional77

clearly one suggestion has been posted that will work...

yet, it can't be done. I might as well sell my car and buy your shitty toyota and Ipod adapter and then the problem will be solved of course

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'd do Jolly's suggestion, but you could try playing around with Movie Maker to make a movie with MP3's and a still.

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

god damn. you were doing pretty well for a while, but still your true asshole nature resurfaces.

14. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

If you aren't diehard about audio quality you could always go with an FM transmitter. Otherwise, you'll probably have to convert them to something that the dvd player will recognize. Is there a way to burn a black screen with music as chapters on a dvd? Surely the toyota cannot be the best answer.

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

it has a dvd player... do you have dvd authoring software? You could easily setup a dvd with songs as chapters... then use the next/previous chapter to go forward and backward... hell you could even setup whole albums as chapters, create your own title screen to access the chapters that would be depicted with the album covers. If you wanted to get REALLY fancy you could even record winamp visualizations of each song as it plays and use that as the video... that would be pretty bitching actually, but greatly reduce the number of songs you would get on each dvd

Don't listen P07 he is a jackass and ignorant if he thinks you are asking for something impossible.

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

FM transmitters are the worst.

one thing though is that you are a guy driving a cadillac with a DVD player built in. i can't imagine that even $400 to do this the proper way would break the bank.

anyway, i never tried this software, but it is free for you to try. it says it can convert between various audio formats and includes avi and mp3.

http://www.download.com/Switch/3000-2140_4-10327491.html?cdlPid=10831233

17. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've been looking at doing something in this area. If you really only want to spend 250$ you can do it. I don't know if you have a double-din headunit or not but depending on that you can get a new HU that reads mp3's easily. Installment cost around 50$. HU cost around 100$ (the really cheap ones)

Problem is with a bit more money you can get bluetooth and all kinds of shit. :hs: Double-din head units cost more so look to spend upwards of 200$ if you go that way. You can get single deck HU with double din adapters but they look like shit.

18. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You can do this without spending any money... read what I already wrote...

19. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I'm actually with him on this.

20. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Nero for example, has everything he needs to do this.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't make the player play MP3s if it doesn't have a decoder built-in. Maybe you can convert them to low-quality WAV files so you can still fit them all on one disc, but then it'll sound like shit.

Alternately, you could convert them to full-quality WAV files and burn them to multiple discs.

Does your player have an AUX jack on it? If it does, then you could use any MP3 player without a conversion kit.

22. more off

more off Moderator

stop telling him to buy an ipod you worthless assholes :wtf:

23. more off

more off Moderator

he can do it :ugh:

24. more off

more off Moderator

mp3 to avi converter

then burn to DVD using convertXtoDVD

25. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yeah, I would google a program that can convet mp3 to avi as some people have mentioned. Then just burn them to DVD with Nero or a similar program. Worth a shot, but...

To be honest, it sounds like a lot of effort for something that may be worth spending some money to fix. Perhaps with a cheaper mp3 player/car connector or something. Or if you're a DIY person: http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/34927.aspx google for info like that. If you can somehow hardwire an aux input cable to your headunit on your own (I know nothing about this, you'd have to look into it) then you can hook up any cheap mp3 player (or even your laptop if you wanted) to it and play the music like that. You might want to go to craigslist and see if anyone has some cheap solutions to your problem or something if you don't want to do it yourself. I'm not sure how easy this would be either, but if it is possible, it may be a better longrun solution cuz it might be a pain to convert and burn all those songs. Depends on how you feel about that and whether there are any other solutions without just buying the iPod + accessories. Good luck

edit: possibly worth reading, i just glanced at it: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...6201-stock-headunit-ipod-hookup-question.html