A Duster to remember

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by QuickHitCurepon, May 20, 2008.

1. I got a '70 (valiant) Duster 340 - 5spd. Everybody has to look wherever I go. It's a cool & unique theme: perfect body w/racing stripes, low profile tires & mags, shiny yellow w/dull black hood, big yellow hood scoop, tinted rear window & wing. I bought it at the upholstery shop! I've got an awesome '73 Fury III too.

There are many fantastic shots of the valiant front end in the 1971 movie "Duel" w/Dennis Weaver.

You'll be amazed if you click on my link and look at the pics of my Duster.

www.musclecarclub.com/boards/showthread.php?t=4089&page=1&pp=10

The wide low-profile-mag-wheel tires; the dull black hood w/yellow hood scoop make it really special looking. The black racing stripes and side windows highlighted in black help too. Duster insignias. Gas cap painted yellow same as the car body. The tiny, little metal Plymouth emblems mechanically embedded in the fenders near the marker lights are so cute too.
    One time I left the Duster gas cap at a service station. I haven't done that for about 15yrs. I was eating at Pizza Hut w/my wife when I realized it. I had to race back 3 mi. on El Camino Real, late at night. The cashier had it! Thank God. To get another cap to match the body, pretty tough. And it doesn't lock so someone could just pluck it right off.

I bought the Duster from the owner of an auto upholstery shop in town here. I had gone there w/my Fury to put a screw on the inside driver door panel to stop a really annoying squeak that just started and to fix a big split in the dash. When I first saw the car and heard it was for sale, I commented to the owner, "It looks like it came out of a time machine." lol. It's so clean and new.

The auto repair shop that has always worked on the Duster is in the same bldg. as the upholstery shop, which is BTW right next to an armory. I go back there a lot, well, I've got 4 cars and am not good at fixing them. Although, my wife has put 66k on our 2000 Dodge Stratus that we bought w/29k on it, and yet, that one never seems to break. The body shop that painted my car is there in that bldg. too or was. He moved a while back. The one question the guys around there ask a lot is, "Do u keep the Duster in a garage?" For the first several months I had it, I kept it in the carport of my condo, but after that I've kept it in the garage of my mom's house in Palo Alto.

One coincidence is the upholstery guy bought it from a woman who lives in a house just a quarter mi. from my mom's house. That woman bought it from Ely Dodge in Menlo Park." The license frame in the back says in big letters, "Ely" on the bottom, and above the plate, "Menlo-Palo Alto." It's funny. The license frame for my Fury says "Zumwalt," a dealer near Santa Rosa. A metal piece broke off so it now says, "Zumwa." I'm always zooming away in the Fury. lol

So, that's why I put "A Duster to Remember," because so many things can happen to my car or I can crash it or sell it. I think there are so few of some of these older models, like also Cougars and Chargers, because some young kid wrecked 'em or let them get trashed.

It would be weird, but maybe, an automaker can put out a new line of a few of these old models.

2. I ran (back) up the hill & jumped in my Duster.
    With a friend by my side,
    We shouted going down at 205.
    A desert road doesn't wind;
    That's why I pushed her up to 299.
    Our performance was great & definitely not lackluster.
    She said, "If you make the base tonight,
    I'll even have time to reach Acupulco on the bus, sir."
    We passed 400 & I only could just say, "Trust her."

Cleanliness is next to godliness, the cleaner the better. ;)

3. red97gst

red97gst New Member

do you talk this way in person as well?

Your Duster is very nice looking, but I kept feeling like I was reading an obituary for a car or that I somehow got into your brain and was subjected to your strange thought process

How long have you owned this duster?

The part about the "ely" and "zumwalt" had me :dunno::gives::hsughr::nickos:

4. Yeah, you're right.

I always worry about screwing up my Duster and losing it and what a tragedy to lose a great looking car like that.

5. I bought this '70 Duster 340 about three years ago. It was a four-on-the-floor at the time. It was a great shifter it had. I loved it. But on the freeway at higher speeds, fourth gear would be really loud. So I had it converted to a five-speed with a new transmission from Keisler Engineering.

The guy I got it from won first place at the big Monterey Jubilee Classic Car with this Duster.

6. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Looks awesome. My head would be turning.

7. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

five speed in NINTEEN SEVENTY? :bowdown:
    oh converted lawl

8. droopz

droopz New Member

Nice man. Is english your second language?

9. Maybe it's the car. It has an incredible mystique to it. Makes me ga ga. lol

10. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i love the car

11. [paradox]

[paradox] No replacement for displacement. 6.0L Crew.

wouldnt it just be easier to do this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. That was a real surprise! Thanks a lot paradox. Dustermania. :wavey::wiggle:

I just started surfing last August and I have tons of problems with pics.

13. [paradox]

[paradox] No replacement for displacement. 6.0L Crew.

nice looking car by the way :cool:

14. Here's one of the Duster run out of gas. The engine died, while I was on Lawrence Expwy, just before Hiway 280 in Santa Clara, CA. I coasted into a parking lot to this spot at Kaiser Hospital. Now, I'll certainly get my gas gauge fixed. Had time to snap these pics, while waiting for CSAA road service. Good grief! No more empty tanks.

As the streetlight glows, my car in repose, it's now exposed for all the world to see. It gleams in the night. Yes, indeed. Well, glory be.

Unfortunately, the new digital camera I was using was defective so my streetlight pics are gone, sri.

So I'm pleased to present these other photos from the wharf to gaze at. Gaze away! :eek4:

[​IMG]

15. :wavey:

These were taken in Santa Cruz, CA. There weren't too many people at the wharf that day. Lots of seagulls though, but they behaved around my car, thank goodness.

[​IMG]

16. My baby Duster on the street. :p

[​IMG]

17. This trip to the Santa Cruz wharf was partly a mission of mercy. I went with my wife, sister-in-law, and her eight-year-old son. She had a disastrous fight with my wife's brother. She was at the low point of her life. Dustermania to the rescue! :wiggle:

[​IMG]

18. I can hardly even go to a gas station without someone wanting to see my car. If they don't ask, I offer to lift the hood. The guys always agree and want to see my high performance engine:

[​IMG]

19. You know how people talk about that "new car smell." I bought the car from the owner of an upholstery shop, and they got it to smell still better than that. Combine that with the fresh sea breeze, it was a powerful combo: ;)

[​IMG]

20. Can you imagine owning a nicely restored Chevelle, Nova, and a Duster? Launch-time T-20 and counting. ;)

I don't have that awesome combo, but I have a '73 Plymouth Fury III; a '77 Olds Cutlass that I got for $950 eighteen years ago and the original interior still looks almost new! The Olds has about 170,000 miles on the original 350 Rocket engine and still is incredibly fast, considering how heavy it is. And I got the '70 Duster. My Fury is the fastest car of them all, although the Duster is certainly pleasing to the eye.

21. Netbastard

Netbastard OT Supporter

My 67 Coronet thinks your 340 Duster is one hella nice car.

22. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Did you eat lead paint as a kid??

23. Duster tires to leave them in the dust: The brand new low-profile-mag-wheel Pirelli tires on my '70 340 Duster are just too much! Where do u think such hot tires should be driven?