A duplicate Windows XP when I start up my laptop??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pope Don Paul II, May 28, 2004.

1. I just bought a laptop that had Windows XP on it, I decided to do my own clean install since I didn't like all the "free offers" and random crap they decided to also install on the machine. So I restart the laptop and get it to read my Windows XP Pro CD, wipe the hard drive clean, and reinstall Windows XP. It worked great! However now whenever I start up the PC it gives me a choice of OS's... "Windows XP Professional" or "Windows XP Professional"...duplicates. Only one works, so I assume the other one doesn't work since I wiped the hard drive clean.

Does anybody know how I can get rid of this stupid menu when I load up my laptop? It sucks to have it stuck at that screen waiting for me to make a choice between "Windows XP Professional" and "Windows XP Professional".. is there a way I can delete the obselete, non working one from the menu? Or if that's not possible is there a way to have the computer remember my previous choice and stop asking me everytime I start it up?

Thanks!!!

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you can take the duplicate entry out of c:\boot.ini

you will have to remove the system and read-only attributes before modifying the file and then reset them afterward.

3. Holy shit thanks man!!!!

4. col_panic

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

A much better alternative than messing around with a critical system file it to right click on My Comptuer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery. You can choose the default OS and just shut the timer off.

CM>

6. col_panic

bah. registry edits are more dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and they have become commonplace. boot.ini has a very simple structure, so i don't think it's a big deal to modify.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, I just wanted to put out there that it can also be done in Windows also...

8. col_panic

i wasn't aware of that - thanks