A&P A Difficult Balance

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ty Webb, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Currently - I am working just about 2 full time jobs. In addition to my 8-4, my consulting is showing good signs of really taking off. I made some really good connections yesterday at one of the states best printers in reference to another job I am working on - in addition to this, the connection I made there referred me to a company in Milwaukee that needs product photography done and wants to meet with me. The problem I am having now though is finding the time to devote to the consulting during the day when people need me most as that is what I strive to give more than anything. Customer service anytime they need me. I generally come home from work and work on the consulting side through the evenings.

I may have to start taking days off. I am going to call back my contact at the printing company and go with him to meet the other company that needs the product photography done to assess how/if it can be done and in what time frame and price range as I am still limited in equipment but I feel I have the capabilities.

It's exciting as hell to see people want my work. I am going to have to figure out what to do if work picks up in the future. I won't have time to devote to the publishing company any more since only a few hours of work through my consulting = an entire week of pay at the publishing company. My time is better devoted elsewhere. It's coming to the point where I may need to jump over the line and make a certain decision though.

I am also trying to nail down my rates and get some base contracts set up. Any advice?

2. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

First bit of advice - don't make such a ridiculously long post

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

are you serious ADD boy? if you can't handle that long post then don't add your fail 2 cents

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Nic - follow your heart on this one. The job that satisfies you and pays the bills, should be what gets your attention. I like to do volunteer IT work, because people appreciate it, and I enjoy it - BUT, it doesn't pay the bills. The income stream is important, especially in a crappy economy. Being happy with your work and getting paid for it = win!

5. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

If you'll really survive on photo/consulting, of course do that. Just make sure you're not fooling yourself, you better be good. It's easy to land a photo job here and there, but it's consistent quality that will bring consistent business.

6. wheresthejon

sometimes i forget this isn't OT main forum and I can't be an asshole :wtc:

7. wheresthejon

In all seriousness - I once had a similar situation and maybe you can take something from this:

I had a full scholarship that I gave up to tour with my band because we got a "deal". I followed my heart and tried to make it with music, but that fell flat after a year and i lost my scholarship. Biggest mistake of my life...should have stayed in college and continued getting ass. People always say "if you don't follow your dreams, you live in regret" - no one cares to mention "if your dreams fall flat, you'll regret following them equally"

8. alexromo

alexromo New Member

so you have one client that wants to hire you for product photography?

I wouldn't quit my day job

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

This is kinda what I was getting to.. I signed a contract worth $55,000 over 2 years and I still haven't quit my day job :rofl:

10. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

Hire me to help out?

11. alexromo

alexromo New Member

If it was for 6 months or one year then yeah it would make sense

12. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I'm not at the point of quitting my day job quite yet. trust me. I'm not dumb.

It's just nice seeing the business pick up with the hopes of it growing down the line.