A database of sorts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drake, Mar 29, 2006.

1. drake

drake OT Supporter

I'm trying to think of ideas to use for making a database that is easy to use and easy to update. Right now I am stuck with an old version of FileMaker Pro on a iBook running OS 9.x. Ideally I would want the database to be on a server where all users could access it at the same time making updates as necessary and independent of OS.

My data consists of about 20 fields or so with only alphanumerics at the moment. For the users of this I think a web-based approach would be the easiest to learn and something that could have entries added in by entering the fields, or using an excel/text file for multiple entry updates. One aspect I would like to have as well would be to link a jpg or file to be displayed in the browser page to a particular entry, if possible. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure what kind of solution I would be looking for or if there is something out there that will do this for me. Would using a combination of database software like Access/File Maker/etc be my best bet?

I was looking for opinions/advice on how something like this could be implemented.:x:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

PHP/MySQL could be used for this pretty easily. You'd have to know how to actually write SQL, though, it's not point-and-click development like Access or FileMaker.

3. drake

drake OT Supporter

:cool: I wasn't sure what I should be looking at, but I really don't like the limits or the feel of FileMaker or Access. Creating it wouldn't necessarily be my job since I don't think my boss would want me spending time teaching myself since this doesn't fall anywhere into my line of work. But, trying to explain it to a programmer to be designed would more than likely be my part if we were to go this route.

Along those lines, does you have an idea what kind of costs I could expect? Between finding a coder and support?