A&P A dance rehersal C&C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DagoRcR, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

Extremely low light ISO 1600 shot between F 1.4-2.8. Anybody with experience doing this kind of stuff?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Lots of whites are blown out.
    Some motion blur.

shoot with a faster shutter speed to eliminate the blur, this may require shooting above ISO 1600.

also, i've found that when you're shooting something with a dark black background, or just a solid color, use spot metering so your subject is exposed properly.

I like #2 a lot :bigok:

3. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

thanks

lighting is tough. lots of shadows, ect. It was kind of a battle between getting lots of shadows and getting some overexposure. I'll try 3200 next time for blur

4. johan

johan Active Member

were you rehearsing to shoot actual performance?

Maybe this is not relevant since you can't do you own lighting during a perf, but an AB1600 way off stage right with an interesting gel would make for some nice lighting.

1. I like this. More of the girl on the right.
    5. are you trying to show a dichotomy like a pos/neg heaven/earth thing with the subject/reflection? the framing is a bit tight and feels choked off.

in general you have good partial frames, but then it goes screwy with some intrusive element added in.

pic 10 for instance, would work well with a looser, but cleaner framing, showing the repeated pose of the dancers camera left.

But then you include the other dancer cam right, going the other way. Plus the foot jutting into the frame in mid-air...is like huh wha?

that's my 2c.

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

lighting is tough in these situations. my daughter does tons of dance competitions, so i've been getting better and better shots with practice. the hardest part is the super bright spotlights and dark backgrounds, but using spot metering will help.

6. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

1 try getting all the performers in this shot in focus, which as stated before may require shooting above iso 1600.
    4 you cut off part of your subject. Not sure if the motion blur in the background is intentional, but it works.
    5 Shoot wider, then crop in the edges to avoid cutting off your subject like this.
    6 Again you cut off your subject's hand.
    7 Highlights blown, and Subject is oof. it seems like the focus is about 6' in front of your subject. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but i do like the shot.
    8 Highlights blown again.
    9 Again the blown highlights, but that's just a minor nitpick here.
    10 Clone out the random foot at the right edge of the frame.

The shots i didn't bring up in detail, i liked.

7. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

yeah I'm rehearsing to shoot some actual performances. I went back briefly last night. I'm still gonna struggle with blow outs, but the ISO 3200 is totally manageable. Can't do much for my own lighting. As for 7 socio: I was trying to disregard the people, removing them and trying to capture the emotion of the moment. that's why it's oof and blown- I just liked the form and the texture of the ground.

Grabbed a couple shots last night that the dancers really liked, they are always happy when you catch them mid flight, ect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  8. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

great comments for 10. I'll work on that

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

I like your second set. Completely. :cool:

10. haikii

haikii New Member

i fucking love 7. i dont care thats its blown out and wrong in so many ways. It just captures it so right.