A couple weird questions...HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tska, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Tska

Tska New Member

Three questions -

1. I'm trying to transfer files on a hard drive from an old computer (like, 5 1/2" floppy old) to a new one. Problem is, there aren't any of the same connectors on the old PC that are on the new one. The old one has 2x 25-pin connectors (1 male, 1 female), a 15-pin connector, and a phone jack. Is it possible to set up a network, so to speak, using the phone cable as opposed to the typical ethernet cables? How the deuce do I do this?

2. I just built a new PC (said PC from question 1, actually), and my DVD-rom drive isn't showing up, and once in a while, my CD-RW drive won't show up - it won't get detected at startup, and won't be in My Computer. Again, it's always the DVD-ROM, and occasionally the CD-RW. The DVD drive had a green light once, but otherwise appears dead - possible it failed first time out, or was DOA? Is it incompatible with the Mobo? (ECS mobo, I have another one and it's perfect, and Lite-On drives, again, used them and they're great) Oh, and I checked and double-checked the IDE's, 4-pin power, etc. I switched IDE cables between my HD and DVD-ROM/CD-RW, and NOTHING got detected. Bad IDE cable perhaps?

3. My 512MB of RAM is showing up as 256MB. Any way to fix it short of RMA'ing it to newegg for a different stick? It's 1x512 :squint: :)

Thanks a million guys. All the questions I've asked here before have been answered in like 5 minutes. You guys rock...TIA!:bigthumb:

2. bptillman

bptillman New Member

for #2 when it doesnt show up in my computer does it show up in device manager under cd/dvd drives or other devices?

3. Tska

Tska New Member

Nope - doesn't show up in either place, and isn't picked up by XP when I go "add new hardware" and it scans for any new hardware.

4. bptillman

bptillman New Member

so when you switch the IDE cables nothing (hard drive or dvd drive) gets detected?

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

#1 to get the info off that old drive IMO it's easier to pull the HD out of the old system, change the jumper to slave and hook it up to your new comp then pull all the old files off that you want....you can then reinstall the HD in the old machine, install Linux and 2 NIC cards and use it as firewall/router.

#2 In regards to the DVD Rom drive be sure that you don't have either drives jumpers on the CS (cable select) option. You should have 1 master and 1 slave for each channel. Do not put one on CS and the other on slave as this can cause problems. Just make one master and one slave.

If that doesn't fix your problem, you need to check your settings in your BIOS. Every computer is different but you usually enter this by pressing esc at the start of the boot process. It usually says something like press esc to enter set up...or something like that. Be sure the master and slave drives for the IDE channels you have drives hooked up to are set to auto.

If your system is still not seeing the DVD drive, be sure to check for IRQ conflicts. These can be frustratingly slow to track down but basically start with the drive and see what IRQ it's using...then go to the BIOS and look for another device using that IRQ. If you find one...change the drives IRQ.

The next possibility are drivers. If your system sees the drives at start up but windows won't recognize them, it's prolly a driver issue.....you need to install the latest drivers for the drives that you're having problems with.

That's all I can think of for #2...hopefully that's enough to help.

#3 Are you 100% sure your RAM is 512 MB? I would take the MFG name and part # and google it. More then likely newegg just sent you the wrong size stick or had it mislabled or something. I've heard of many people that received incorrect items from newegg.

I remember back when it was a given that McDonalds would screw up your drive thru order....now it seems that it's a given that newegg will screw up orders.

6. Schproda

Schproda New Member

What would suck about this is if it were a MFM drive. :) There is a USB adapter that'll let you connect drives straight to a USB connection and not have to change jumpers or anything. That's my saving grace at work when I have to do data recovery.

7. Tska

Tska New Member

Good idea on the HD. Schproda, what's the USB adapter you're talking about? IDE on one end to the HD, USB on the other?

I'll check the BIOS, if that fails how do I go about checking IRQ's? (until now I kept up with you, you lost me at IRQ haha - I've heard of them though!)

Good point about #3 too - I'll check it this AM and see what's going on. Either way, it's probably going back to newegg for a) a stick of 512 that will be recognized as 512, or B) the actual stick of 512 i paid for.

I'll give these things a shot and report back haha. Thanks for the help :x:

8. Tska

Tska New Member

Correct :ugh:

9. Tska

Tska New Member

Update- the BIOS IDE settings are all set to auto detect. Don't know how to check the IRQ?

The RAM stick is also 512MB, or at least the part # sticker says so - it's part#-512/400/some other number - and it's PC3200=DDR400, so 512MB/DDR400, so I'm pretty sure it's actually 512, but only being recognized as 256. Harumph.

Any ideas?

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Buy an external IDE => USB enclosure for your old hard drive. You may only use it once for this project, but it will come in handy later. Or, you can swap the drive into your new computer -- but put it on a separate cable from your new computer's hard drive, or else the old drive will slow both of them down.

2. RMA the DVD drive and the RAM. You could spend days troubleshooting these just to find out that they're dead after all; better to reduce the chance that they're dead by exchanging them, and then start troubleshooting if the new ones don't work either.

3. 95% of the time you don't have to mess with DMAs and IRQs on a modern computer, because the hardware is smart enough to resolve conflicts automatically. Good thing too -- they got rid of all the jumpers that made it easy to change IRQs and DMAs years ago; now you have to wait for Windows to realize there's a problem before it will let you change the settings manually.