A couple questions about the modified Bill Starr routine...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ices, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ices

ices New Member

Until now, I've been on Rippetoe's starting strength routine. I feel that I've outgrown the routine, and I need some more volume. I'm going to start the modified Bill Starr routine next week, and I had a couple questions.

1) On day 2, it was "Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax". Is there any reason I should do one over the other? I would like to see progress in both, but if I were to choose one, I would stick with military pressing, which leads to my second question...

2) Would it be ok to replace tricep extensions on day 3 with dips?

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

When I was on it, I'd do shoulder press 5x5, then I'd superset dips and pullups.

3. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Here is the reason:

Christopher put down the way HE did Bill Starr's routine and not any special routine he created for anyone. Basically, at some point he was bored with one of the exercises and switched to the other.

The way I followed the routine was to do shoulder press for a few weeks and then do dips for a few weeks.

4. ices

ices New Member

That's a great idea, and it'll work well since they're both 4xMax. Looks like my day 2 will be a very diverse upperbody workout. Thanks

5. ices

ices New Member

I was actually wondering about how this routine was made up. Did Christophers specialize the routine himself from the beginning, modify as he went along, or was it thought up by someone else?

6. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

You'd have to ask him how he came up with his form of that routine. I asked him before as to the reasoning for why he has "dips or shoulder press" listed and the answer I gave above reflects what I was told previously by him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.