A couple questions about getting certified.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'm looking into becoming a personal trainer. What's the process like and where's the "best" place to get certified?

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Whole Foods.

3. rockman123

rockman123 New Member

:rofl::rofl:

4. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

NASM

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i ws gonna say ibneo..ianeo

6. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Well played :rofl:

7. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

Just get AFAA to start with it's like $300 and a weekend. If you enjoy the PTing go and get more certs like ACSM or NASM.

8. davidmethew

davidmethew New Member

agreed with you

agreed with you

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

For commercial gyms it doesn't really matter. Most places will accept basic certs like ISSA, NASM, ACE etc. I received a cert through ISSA before I started training a while back. You'll realize as you train that experience > paper

10. hootpie

hootpie New Member

How do you like being a PT? Do you do it full-time or part-time?

11. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

12. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I don't do it anymore, I did it while I was in school.

A lot of people get the misconception that you will be training future Olympic athletes, when in reality you can plan on training whiny 40-50 year old women all day long with terrible balance and mobility. But if you work for a good gym that doesn't rape you - you can make some pretty good money. Certs are so simple to get why not give it a shot?

13. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

2nd'ed

worked as a PT for little over a year, I can't emphasize enough that this is 100% what you will be doing :rofl:

And Jeff is right about the pay as well. Most gyms are going to hose you on your commission (and if i were a gym owner I'd hose you as well). Some gyms pay you more for the more certs you have.

And realize this is a SALES job, if you suck at sales don't bother because you'll go BROKE.

AND #3 you will be working some funky hours. Some clients want to be trained at 6am while others want to be trained at 8pm. If you have a full book plan on being at the gym all day.

14. jonno

jonno New Member

i've heard that NASM is the best but the most widely accepted and respected. also the most expensive....

i may get my ACE soon just cause it's cheaper.

15. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

not to mention NASM is hard as shit, I've known kinesiology majors that bombed out on the testing :rofl: If you're not good with school work or studying in general I wouldn't recommend it for a cert right out of the gate.

ACE or AFAA is $300 and a weekend, and they'll both allow you to work at most if not all gyms nationwide.

or if you want paypal me $100 and i'll photoshop your name onto my cert and mail it to you :mamoru:

16. jonno

jonno New Member

:rofl:

isn't it true that if you buy the NASM shit off the site it's a take home test and you just take it WITH the book and mail it in for your cert? that's what i heard.

17. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

well no, they mail you a book and a study guide 2wks prior and you GO IN somewhere and take the test. Think there is some classroom work involved as well, don't remember.

and I think there is a pretty weak physical fitness test as well as I've seen a few jolly and fat PTs with NASM certs..

18. jonno

jonno New Member

some make 20k while others make 100+K. all depends on your sales skills/drive and location.... like a lot of jobs.

IIRC neo22 does fairly well for himself and i dont even think he works full-time.

19. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

I guess you can make a decent living, especially if they hire you on as contract work.

I'd say the average PT makes about 20-24k a year, while the PT who is good at sales can bring around 28-35k a year.

Private training is where it's at. $75-100/hr

I prospected a lot of my clients @ the gym, when I found out they had home gyms I offered to train them at home for $80 a session. Most if not all will go for it.

IMO, it's a great job for part time work or while you're in school but I wouldn't make a career out of it. Unless you plan on getting into strength coaching or training celebrities, both of which are extremely rare opportunities.

20. NUDES

NUDES New Member

The only trainer I knew making money was the head trainer at a Fitness 19. He drove a hummer and a 7 series beamer but trained people from literally 5 in the morning till around 8 or 9 at night. Had a big waiting list for clients. Dude was jacked up too, real lean and around 240 or so at about 5'11".

He told me the rest of his trainers were lucky to break 30k a year.

21. jonno

jonno New Member

wow... and that's in cali... not good

22. jonno

jonno New Member

this girl i went to school with did her own bootcamps and private shit. said she'd make 1k/week cash. chick is almost 30 and looks literally 20 :naughty:

23. NUDES

NUDES New Member

It's also about being marketable. If you are not jacked up I would personally not be a PT. I mean if you walk into an average gym most of the PT's look like bumfuck shit. Either no muscle or fat or both. If you come in there and actually have a good physqiue you'll probably have more potential to make money.

Some bitch I know that sometimes trains at 24 hr runs her own bootcamp bullshit privately and drives an M5. Pretty sure she's hit some magazine covers as well.

24. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

yup.

When doing private stuff you have to carry a good liability insurance, after all we are in sue happy america :mamoru:

25. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

My first cert was with NCCPT it was basic muscle physiology, common sense, and anatomy which was the hardest part . The majority of gyms accept it for personal training jobs. Course was $450 when I took it.

NASM is somewhat harder with more volume but goes deeper into biology and nutrition. Bit more expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.