A couple Q's from a Car Audio newbit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TimzSI, Feb 11, 2003.

1. TimzSI

TimzSI living well is the best revenge.

Hey all, I've got a couple things on my mind and this seems to be a damn good place to get them looked at. :)

First, I have a 1995 240sx SE that I have replaced all four speakers with 6x9 Kenwoods. I did not replace the wires. Should I have? What are the benefits of that? Do I need to go back and do that?

Second, I'm buying a decent head unit off my roomate this weekend, and I'm going to have it installed at a local Crutchfield's. How much can I expect to pay?

Third, in the near future (meaning a month or three) I am hoping to buy a small amp, box and a single ten. I'm trying to combat weight, along with rattles and cost, which are the reasons I'm going small. Can anyone make any reccomendations? Where should I look for nice parts? I'm not afraid to buy used, as long as everything is in good shape.

Last, what type of problems can I expect to run into? And anything else you can think of that I might have skipped would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. Tim. :bigthumb:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i would change out the wires jsut to keep form ruining the new deck by a bad factory wire they tend to get cut and short out

i didnt know they had local crustfeilds but any ware form 20 - 100 dollars

if you are worried about weight dont get into car audio

an id 10 with a small decent amp in a good box is pretty affordable you will need to buy a wireing kit for the amp and you will find allsorts of prolems thats the fun of it :bigthumb:

3. TimzSI

TimzSI living well is the best revenge.

How much is a set of wires for all four speakers?

And I'll correct myself by saying they;re actually oversized 6x5's...I think. :) Oh, and on the crustfields, lol.

I'm not overly concerned with weight, I just don't want to dynawrap the whole car, put three 15's in the trunk and a 90 disc changer. :)

What kinda problems do you think I'll run into?

And do you think I can pick up the box/sub/amp for around 200 bucks?

Thanks for the rEply's. :)

4. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

it can be done... but the box will mess you up. If you were to build your own, you could do it for very cheap (like 10 bucks or so). But by buying one, you are looking t0 give up a lot of money. You can get a single ten already in a box but you also want an amp. Figure a cheap amp will cost 100 bucks or maybe cheaper on sale. your 200 budget is pushing it.. but it can be done. Personally I'd check ebay for a box. CarAudioFactory has single boxes for around 25 if I can remember right. I believe it was shervin who runs CarAudioFactory, PM him.

5. 04

04 Guest

YOu don't have to upgrade the factory wire, infact it is probably fine. If you are paranoid (like myself) you can get inexpensive 14awg wire from home depot for like 15 cents a foot. If you want better quality copper, with a better jacket, Partsexpress.com's soundking speaker wire is very good imo....

When you said they look like oversized 6x5's, they are probably 5x7 or 6x8 speakers. LOUDSYSTEM seems to have a book on speaker sizes in doors, so ask him to see what size fit in your car.

6. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

id just leave the wires in there that are there, id think youd run a higher risk of shortin them out from doin it yourself. Not because the quality of the wire, but just runnin them in the wrong spot or something like that. If you are going to get a "cheap" amp, dont get an 1800watt 59dollar special, get something thats known...even Rockford or something like that. Most of the huge cheap ones are empty inside for most of it.

7. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Yeah, an IDQ10 plus a homemade sealed box ran me less than $200. Just make sure you have a jig saw lying around. My box probably ran me around 40-ish since I built a mini amp mount, bought a sub grille, went nuts with the metal brackets insdie the box, and carpeted all surfaces.