A couple of simple questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by frozenhubcap, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

I've recently started a job at UPS, hoping to burn off the extra 50lbs I'm packing, and just get into better shape, along with the nice paycheck. I'm also trying to watch what I eat a little better. Eating more complex carbs, drinking tons of water, drinking a lot less soda, etc.

Now, a couple things I've been wondering about. Will drinking juice keep me hydrated like drinking water will? I've been getting tired of drinking water all the time, and I love juice. So if juice will keep me hydrated just as well, I'd like to drink more juice and less water.

Another thing, more than a few people from work have told me drinking a protein shake before and after work will help me adjust to the hard manual labor, and keep my muscles from being sore. Is this true? Will it really benefit me? And any recommendations on what to buy?

I hope that you guys can help me, seeing as this doesn't quite fit into what this forum is about.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

First off you should completely cut off regular soda. switch to diet if you need the taste fix. Juice is sugar... lots of sugar is bad. Add some crystal light packs to your water if you are sick of drinking plain water.

you should be taking in about a gram of protein per pound of lean mass (muscle). A protein shake before and after will help. If you are really busting ass (like almost a cardio workout) have a carb source with your protein shake after work... like a gatorade or something.

Pick up some whey protein. Optimum Nutrition is the popular brand around here, but I tend to pick up Vitamin Shoppes Whey Tech brand because I can get it locally and they tend to have it on sale.... its also fairly low carb and they sweeten it with Splenda, so the taste isn't too bad.

You could benefit from reading the noob stickies at the top of the main page. The first thing you should fix is your diet, you should be lifting weights, and I guess your new job could count as cardio.

Burn more calories then you take in. This is key. Make sure the calories you take in don't come from shitty food. Eat lots of lean meat, chicken, whole grain breads and oats.

3. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

I'll definitely check out the crystal light packets... I'm suprised I hadn't thought about that.

How do I go about calculating my lean mass? I did not see this mentioned in the sticky.

And this is the correct stuff, right? http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=531&osCsid=tl7ll60fnbdseru316f9cs3cf4

As for the lifting weights... I'm not actually trying to bulk up any. I'm a big guy, and pretty dang strong, so would lifting weights be something I need to do anyway? Why?

And thanks for the patience, I'm a dumbass when it comes to working out. I'm just out of shape, and wouldn't mind cutting off some extra baggage.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

lifting weights builds muscle, muscle mass (and I'm butchering the science here) speeds up your metabolism.

You will burn more fat by lifting weights then by cardio and diet alone. Simply lifting weights isn't some magic tool that will bulk you up... diet dictates whether your bulk or cut.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=62

Thats the stuff right there. Can't go wrong with chocolate. Its kinda difficult to determine lean mass without actually getting your bodyfat tested. Just aim for upwards of 200+ grams and you'll be good for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.