GUN a couple of questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Letifo, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

Now that the AWB has expired, should i be able to find AKs with pistol grips, detatchable mags and flash suppressors? Or is there some sort of limitation on the import of those. Now that i live in Columbus away from my family i don't really get to go shooting so much, and i'd like to get a gun of my own to take shooting, and i really like my dad's pistol grip AK. I don't like the one that isn't pistol grip. The SKSs are nice too, but they're longer, and they don't have detatchable mags, so i don't like them as much. AR15s are too expensive for me.

Also, where can i find a place that lists local gun shows? I'd like to go to a gun show locally, and probably purchase my weapon there.

Also, less important, cuz i'm <21, so i can't get a handgun, but are >10 round magazines now legal for civilians to carry/buy?

edit: i'm referring to AK47s, that shoot the 7.62mm ammo. However, is it worthwhile to consider an AK74 (they shoot .223 right?). Are they more expensive? is the ammo more expensive? How do they compare in things like accuracy and fun?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  2. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

oh, also a collapsible stock would be nice, but i wouldn't want to pay much more for that, so that's not really a big deal. I know you can find all those things on an AR15 fairly easily (although, are they cheaper yet? or do you still have to pay jacked up prices for "pre-ban"?), but AR15 is out of my price range, plus i like the AK just as much, jams less easily, ammo is cheaper, it's shorter, dunno, it's just a really solid weapon. not the most accurate in the world admittedly though.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

look in the yellow pages for firearm retailers. go to one. you'll find that they likely have an assortment of AK's, in varying configurations. i'm not sure if ohio has an AWB of its own, but if they do, what i just said might be wrong. anyways, yes, AK's are available with FOLDING stocks. you won't find any with a collapsing stock like an AR. you can get them with flash hiders, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, detachable mags, whatever you want. AK mags are cheap as hell, and you've ALWAYS been able to own them. you've always been able to own AK's, so long as your state doesn't ban them, like CA. they still made AK's under the ban, just without bayonet lugs or folding stocks or flash hiders. i'd suggest going to a local fun store, and asking them about prices on AK variants.

74's are usually 5.45x39, but there are some .223 conversions, and some .223 AK's out there. 5.45 is decently priced for the average stuff to just shoot.

4. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Chances are you won't find a great deal on an AKM (7.62AK) at a gun show. Check out the classifieds on www.ak-47.net first.

Romanian AKM kits assembled by Century on stamped receivers will probably be your best bet. These are called SAR-1 (7.62 AKM) and SAR-2 (5.45 AK-74). There is also an SAR-3 which is a .223 AK-74 but I would recommend the other two first. These rifles are cheap and reliable, and the mags are cheap too.

Robinson Armament (robarm) sells a VEPR K which is a Russian-made AK-type rifle on an RPK (squad machine gun variant) receiver. These are very nice rifles and the RPK action is longer and more robust.

AK-USA (www.ak-103.com) also sells some excellent rifles. They take new Saiga (russian sporting rifles on the AK action) rifles and build a number of different models of rifle using new parts. AWESOME rifles but a little high for an AK.

I think the best bang for the buck is an SAR-1. Putting a folding stock (either side-folder or under-folder) on an SAR is not too big a task. Since the SAR rifles have the same scope mount rail as the Russian rifles, you can order a Kobra collimator sight from http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstkobra.html and have the same sight used by Spetsnaz. That'd make for a neat little rifle under $500.

5. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

what about this: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

or should i get this:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_AK_WASR_10_7_62x39_Rifle.html
    fixed now^^

i don't really need the knives and things. and they both come with 2 magazines

I don't think the second one has bayonet lug/flash supressor, i don't care about the bayonet lug so much, but i would want to add a flash supressor to the second one. Would that be much work and/or be a problem to do for $40?

also, how do i go about getting it to a licensed firearm dealer, do i need to go to a gun store and ask them if i can send it to them?

edit: apparently i didn't know how to properly copy/paste. should be fixed now and my questions might actually have some meaning.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  6. Clingman

The Romanian AKMs those rifles were built from never had flash hiders in the first place. They had the "slant" brake, which you can see on both of those rifles. It's a very effective brake.

The first step would be to ask a dealer if they will just order the gun for you and see what kind of price you get. If you order directly from the factory you'll have to have your gun dealer provide his FFL information to the factory before they can send a rifle.

7. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

thanks. sounds like i need to go to a gun store, i need to find one around here. i know some in SW ohio, but not here in columbus.

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The sunset of the 1994 AWB did not eliminate the import ban of 89. That may be an issue if you are shopping for an import AK.

9. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

So, i won't need to replace the flash supressor on either weapon? and it's the same one on both of them? In that case, i don't see a reason to get the $320 one vs. the $280 one. Does anyone else?

10. Clingman

The two links you gave are the same.

11. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

that's because i'm retarded, hold on i'll edit. sorry.

12. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

there is one in lancaster along rt. 33. i think it's called hocking valley trading or something (i haven't been there in over a year). it's right across the road from meijers. they have an indoor range as well. the staff was friendly and helpful as i remember.

13. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

cool. i might check that out if i get a chance. i found one on cleveland ave. only like 5 miles from campus here.

14. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

yeah, i don't live on campus, i live near campus in my own house. i'd keep it in my house. definitely thanks for the heads up, you're right, i'd be in a world of shit :).

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

IU has a indoor shooting range. :cool: We used to have a outdoor one as well.