A couple of questions... I'll paypal $to the winner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phoenix1105, Apr 3, 2009.

1. phoenix1105

phoenix1105 OT Supporter

First off, my Sony Vega is in the process of dying. The screen turns green, and about once a day I have to unplug it. I'm not sure why, but a little red light flickers on the base of the TV where the power button is. So, I figured I'd replace it.

Which would work better, LCD, plasma, or a projector?

Second question, I built a sealed rectangular box in my car. The box has great sound, but I want more.

I designed the box to the size of 2 12s dropped in from above. My question is this, can I add 2 more 12's? What I was planning was to pop the top off the box, cut out two more holes in the bottom and through in the extra subs. So basically, is this possible? The dimensions of the box would be the same, just two more subs. I also thought about reversing the positive and negative wires on the bottom set of subs so that the excursions(sp) wouldn't "pop" at the same time.

2. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

1. well, plasmas *generally* have a brighter picture. However, LCDs have come up quite a bit and I think really rival plasma screens. Also, LCDs are still cheaper than plasmas

2. need more info, but I'm leaning towards no. Subs need airspace to work properly. We don't know how many cubic feet the box is and what subs they are. 4 subs in a single chamber is a bit much. I would make 2 chambers and 2 subs per chamber. Is the box sealed or ported?

Also, reverse positive and negative on the subs? wtf are you talking about?

3. phoenix1105

phoenix1105 OT Supporter

The box is 2ft cubed, and sealed. As far as the wires, I thought I heard somewhere that if you reverse the polarity of the secondary subs, you could use the same air in the box. That way when you hit a low tone, only one set of subs will fire, and the other set will fire off beat... but what do I know

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That wouldn't work too well. First of all, what you're talking about with reversing the polarity on one pair of subs will cause the volume to drop off dramatically, because the two pairs of subs will be generating sound that's out-of-phase with each other, and the sound waves will cancel out.

Also, the subs would have to have the EXACT same efficiency in order to not have the weakest one of the lot get sucked into the box when the other three hit hard. And wiring things in parallel tends to cause the one with the lowest resistance (and none of them are ever exactly the same) to get hot, which could burn it out over time.

That being said, if you partitioned the box into 4 cubbies, you could mount each sub in its own separate chamber, which would improve things a lot. But still, what will you ever need 4 subs for? Just get one or two really good ones for the same price.

Sometimes I think people take the "Home Theater Experience" a bit too far.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

So your subs fire or face up? Do you have a car, hatchback, suv? If you have a car just simply trying to rotate the box so the subs face the back of the car or towards the front may help out alot.

6. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

or just get a ported box

/thread

7. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

what kind of car? amp? subs?

8. 1stgenrocks

1stgenrocks New Member

it depends on the subs but 2 12's in a 2 cubic foot box it pretty small. most subs want more airspace then that to sound good. what brand/model subs are they?