A couple of admin-related questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. deusexaethera

    deusexaethera OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2005
    Messages:
    19,712
    Likes Received:
    0
    1. How do I restore an MSBackup file containing the entire contents of a computer, if the MSBackup file was not created using the ASR Wizard and therefore I don't have an ASR disk for the Windows XP installer to use? Whenever I try to perform a manual restore, the operation chokes when it tries to restore protected system files which, of course, are in use by the new installation of Windows.

    2. Is there a way to configure Shadow Copies in Windows Server 2003 to save a shadow copy of each individual file on the server WHEN AND ONLY WHEN the file is modified, instead of at a preset time interval? Having shadow copies made every 12 hours (for example) doesn't do me any good, considering that 99% of the stuff on the file server hasn't been touched in a year or more, and the remaining 1% gets modified several times a day.
     
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

    5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2000
    Messages:
    14,519
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC, CANADA
    That's not how shadow copies work. It checks every 12 hours (or the default 7 and 12), but it doesn't make copies of everything over and over again.
     
  3. deusexaethera

    deusexaethera OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2005
    Messages:
    19,712
    Likes Received:
    0
    So, how then can I make filesystem reversions possible? I know they're possible, because in college I used to work on linux systems that would generate snapshots of every file I worked on, every single time I saved it. I could take a file I'd overwritten ten times (for example) and keep double-clicking on its snapshot file and revert the changes I'd made, step by step, until I was back to the original file. This is exceedingly nifty and I want to know how it's done; damn if I can find any documentation, though.
     
  4. piratepenguin

    piratepenguin New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1,067
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ireland
    I suppose you could use CVS. It's more for source-code management, but I know people who use it for important system configuration files. I can't imagine it not being a little bit complex just to change files though, but I've never done it and I've never used CVS much so maybe it's not.

    If it was tied into the file-system it'd be much neater, maybe cvsFS can do that good but I dunno.

    Subversion is an alternative to CVS I've been hearing alot about, alot of people prefer it, so you might want to look into using it instead.
     
  5. 5Gen_Prelude

    5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2000
    Messages:
    14,519
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC, CANADA
    Uh, just snapshot the file every bloody minute if you want. If there's truly only a few files on their that change daily, you won't use up that much disk space - well I suppose it depends on the type of file. If you're talking about database files, that's totally different ball of wax and you would look at transaction logs to rebuild the file. But for regular doc and xls documents, just keep snapping every minute and it will pick up the changes.
     

Share This Page