GUN a couple of 10/22 questions..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Laser Red, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Laser Red

Laser Red Slightly above average member

I've had my 10/22 a couple of months now(synthetic stock w/stainless barrel), and I've heard a few things that I'm not too sure about... Like the barrel ring, should I leave it off? I read somewhere that it improves accurracy if you leave it off..

also, I was thinking about getting a bipod. can you guys reccommend a cheap one? Ive heard a barrel mounted one isn't so great, is that true?

and a buddy told me hollow points are more accurate, is that true too? I bought a shit ton of CCI blazer from midwayusa.com and i'm wondering if I should have gotten hollow points now..

oh, are the hot lips mags with steel lips better than the plastic ones? If I load a mag with the full 25, it jams on the first 4 or 5 and I've just been loading them with 20rnds...

anyway, any suggestions or other things you can think of would be great! thanks guys.:)

2. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Leave the barrel band off. It pushes/pulls against the barrel. Same with a barrel mounted bipod.

Rock Mount makes a cheaper functional alternative to the Harris ones. I picked one up at Wally world for 40 bucks. Make sure you have a sling swivel stud on the forend though. That's how it mounts.

I'm not an expert on ballistics and have no idea if hollow points are more accurate than standard bullets. I do know that I have personally shot the best with subsonic ammo out of my 10/22. The type I use are hollowpoints.

Steel lip mags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hot lip mags by far. The plastic lips on the hot lips wear out pretty fast.
    That being said:
    Factory mags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> aftermarket mags. :big grin:

Suggestions.
    Buy a VQ hammer/sear kit and WK bolt buffer. Later down the road you can get a bull barrel and stock. :bigthumb:

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

-I think leaving the ring off will leave your shots more consistant
    -Get a bi-pod that is mounted on the stock. Harris is good but midrange in price
    -There are TONS of .22LR ammo. The good thing about it is that you can buy every single brand to test out on your rifle to see what it likes without being broke :big grin:
    -Steel > plastic

And :werd: to itchiban. I love my VQ internals.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Where can you buy a sling swivle stud? I've kind of looked around but never really came across anything.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

What kinda mount?

The kind that is just threads to screw into the stock?

6. itchiban

itchiban New Member

My thumbhole stock didn't have the studs on it so I bought some at wal mart when I got the bipod. I just drilled into the stock as a guide and screwed the stud in. It's pretty stable.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I need one that will go in the original 10/22 stock. Can I pretty uch use anything or is it special? I'm going to be getting a 10/22 pretty soon so I'm gathering up all the little stuff first.

8. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Look on http://midwayusa.com for swivel studs. I saw a bunch. My factory 10/22 doesnt even have a hole for a stud. It just have a barrel band. So I guess you arent getting a bull barrel? Awesome upgrade :o

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oh I will eventually. There's other stuff I want to buy before I fuck around with a 10/22 too much. Thanks for the info though :coold:

10. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

My 18.5" shoots better WITH the damn barrel band. So there's no telling on that. Try it both ways.

I've also found after about 15,000 rounds that almost all stock barreled 10/22s prefer 40 grain bullets. CCI Minimags being the best compromise between price and performance.