A couple clarifying questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ices, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ices

ices New Member

Just yesterday, I got my first REAL workout since I started lifting again and I feel great. For the last 2 weeks, I've been learning the correct form and reading up the archives to make sure I get everything right this time around. I just had a couple more questions that I couldn't find online.

-When doing shrugs and curls, should I pinch my shoulder blades?
    -When doing squats, I read that it's I'm supposed to "explode" upwards. By explode, do they mean velocity, or power? In other words, should I shoot upwards quickly, or exert a large amount of force and move upwards smoothly? Should my back be arched or straight?
    -I'm still weary of doing squats and deadlifts since I have a herniated disc in my back. What is the most common reason for lower back injury due to squats and deadlifts (so I know what to avoid at all costs)?

I'll probably have a couple more questions when I get back from the gym today. Thanks so far!

2. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

1. not really, no

2. power... with heavy weight, velocity will be low. You explode to generate as much power as possible to blast through sticking points.

3. Arched

4. I would guess rounded lower back (from shitty form or your arch collapsing) would be the most common reason.

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

there are far better resources than exrx for learning good form.

5. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

keep your back as straight as possible when doing deadlifts. I seen a guy collapse in pain today in the gym deadlifting with a rounded back

6. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.