A&P A cornucopia of spring break photos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by delslow, Mar 29, 2007.

1. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

This year for spring break I went down to New Orleans to help rebuild homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina. The area is still a mess and there is plenty of work to be done. Primarily we worked on an old lady's house, named Granny, who is about 80 years old. It was great to help her out and I'd like to share some of the pictures. The vast majority of them aren't posed, so they're not the best but I think there are some good ones. Feel free to critique.

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

7)
    [​IMG]

8)
    [​IMG]

9)
    [​IMG]

10)
    [​IMG]

11)
    [​IMG]

12)
    [​IMG]

13)
    [​IMG]

14)
    [​IMG]

15)
    [​IMG]

16)
    [​IMG]

17)
    [​IMG]

18)
    [​IMG]

19)
    [​IMG]

20)
    [​IMG]

21)
    [​IMG]

22)
    [​IMG]

23)
    [​IMG]

24)
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately this one came out terrible, but I thought you might still like to hear Ralston's Katrina story.

I met Ralston while he was working on a house down the street and it was interesting and sad hearing his first person account of dealing with Hurricane Katrina. Against his mother’s wishes, Ralston decided to ride out Hurricane Katrina. After all, Hurricanes are a common occurrence in the Gulf and don’t usually amount to much. While Katrina was ravaging the city, water started to flood his small apartment. He thought that the water wouldn’t get very high, so he placed his blankets on top of his washer and dryer and waited for the water to recede. The water didn’t recede, however. Once it reached the top drawer of his kitchen utensils he decided it was time to leave.

Putting on his swim trunks and wrapping a bag around his arm with the possessions he could carry, he began swimming. Avoiding downed power lines, he was looking for dry land and couldn’t find any. He finally reached a school that was dry and had some leftover food scraps. The National Guard picked him up on a boat and he rode through the streets to the convention center. He stayed at the convention center for a several days and feels that it was one of the worst experiences in his life. The things he saw at the convention center and the streets of New Orleans he says he doesn’t wish upon his worst enemy. Finally after several miserable days at the convention center he was moved to Arkansas.

He had a bed in Arkansas but when he awoke in the morning he noticed that the dormitory was completely packed, to the point where people had to stand up sleeping. He wanted to offer the bed to the others, so he asked the police officers if they could take him to the bus station. He was struck by the generosity of the police officers who fed him food and gave him a ride, and the bus station attendant who gave him some money for a ticket. He went to California and was there for several months until his former landlord in New Orleans asked him to come back to renovate his previous apartment.

He was glad to come back to New Orleans and fix up the house. However, after repairing the house, his landlord jacked his rent up from the $400 a month he was paying before the storm to $1,200 a month after the storm. Frustrated with his landlord, who also hasn’t given him back previous rent money; he has been living in a FEMA trailer and saving up his money. He is saving his money to leave New Orleans. Living in constant fear of another storm is not the way to live, Ralston says. He constantly keeps his gas tank full and is ready to leave at the first notice of another storm. He says that they just have to say ‘Hurri’ and he’ll be driving before they say ‘cane.’ Ralston does not want to experience the death and inhumanity that he witnessed after the last storm. He says that he will be in New Orleans until FEMA takes away his trailer and then he’ll be moving to Atlanta to be close to family and away from storms.

He has so much business that he has not advertised, his advertisement comes from the other houses that he’s painted. The amount of houses exceeds that amount of work that he can do. He also cleans a lounge restaurant early in the morning to make some more income. After putting in at least a twelve hour day, he returns to his small trailer. For the time being the business is good, but he talks with excitement about moving to Atlanta and not worrying about another tragic storm.

25)
    [​IMG]

James, or Big J as his friends call him, is working hard to revitalize New Orleans and turn some profit through revitalization. He currently owns five properties and is looking to buy more. Living on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain during the Hurricane, his house escaped the majority of the damage. Soon after the Hurricane he began investing into houses in New Orleans and renovating them. His work has paid off, as his shiny new red Ford pickup truck shows. His friend also invests in houses and his Mercedes also shows off his tough work. James doesn't believe that there is a lack of jobs, but rather a lack of housing. He is excited for Donald Trump's Tower to begin construction and believes that Trump's investment to the city will mean more investors. Another area that is hurting development is the local government, Big J says. Ralph Nagin and others are not using the money properly. While optimistic about the future of New Orleans, he acknowledges that another storm the size of Hurricane Katrina would wipe out the city and no one would rebuild. For the time being though, he is happy with the work he is doing and is going to continue buying, renovating, and renting properties as long as it's profitable.

2. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

25)
    [​IMG]

best picture there... portraits are always hard, i had a portrait class in college and i always love them. this shot shows a tremendous amount of emotion. good job.

3. austincabot

austincabot New Member

6,8,16,18, and 20 do it for me. Good shots of a dismal scene. And kudos for using your SB for good.

4. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I think #3 was the only shot I didn't care for too bad 24 didn't come out a little clearer...he appears soft...

5. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

great pictures mate

6. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Its crazy to think that there are still a ton of houses and cars still fucked up down there!!

I went :eek: at the squashed Camaro!

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

they did a special about hurricane katrina on Dirty Jobs and it is nuts to see and hear about what is still happening and what is still stagnent(sp?) in that area.

there is also a 250 page book of just pictures from neighborhoods and areas affected by katrina. I almost picked it up but didn't for some reason.

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

[​IMG]

old as hell pic, took it in '05. i want to go back now that i'm actually more familiar with the camera.

nice shots.

9. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

Great pics. Our intern actually went there for spring break also to help build houses.

10. lathrash

lathrash New Member

my roomate and some of my friends went to NO this past week too, unfortunately i wasn't able to go. can i get a high res of the camaro pic???
    lathrash21 (at) gmail

11. GA_Dyme

GA_Dyme doggah!

kudos to u! :bigok:

12. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

I signed up for that trip through my fraternity too... didnt get to go because all the slots were filled before they got to my name. Kudos to you for giving up your time and doing something good.

Great shots btw. I just got back from N.O. this weekend and the place is such a mess... almost got mugged but I sent the Blackwater security team out on the guy.

On a side note... Im a TKE at FSU and we live across the road from Lamda Chi... they are real shit heads for the most part. I just want to congratulate you for helping to improve my opinion of lambda chi's.

13. planb

planb itches in my teeth

I cant seem to take pictures that look this clear on my rebel :(

what lenses are you using?

14. delslow

:hs: none of the lambda chi guys went (other than me). I'm doing a campus ministry internship and it was through the church that I work with that I did it with. Unfortunately my brothers aren't the most philanthropic people around.

That's cool that your brothers were going to work down there (and that it was filled up). Sorry to hear about the Lambda Chi's at FSU, I've heard some chapters are awesome, and others embarrass our name. Hopefully that chapter will turn around in the coming years

15. delslow

Tamron 28-75 2.8. I really like the lens and it wasn't very expensive.

16. delslow

Here is a link to the high res photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=436403688&size=o

17. lathrash

lathrash New Member