A comp I'm trying to put together

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crazedfishboy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Well I am trying to build a new computer under 1500 and well I found these parts and I was wondering if you guys have better ideas on the parts I have.

• ABIT K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard
    • Func Surface 1030 Black Base Mousepad
    • COOLMAX 450W CX-450
    • AMD Athlon 64 +3500
    • Corsair Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2)
    • Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200RPM 16M P-ATA/133 Hard Drive
    • Microsoft BLACK Multimedia Keyboard PS/2 102keys
    • ViewSonic G810B 21" CRT Monitor
    • Logitech Blue Performance Optical Mouse PS2/ USB, Model "MX510"
    • NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black w/ Software, Model ND-3520A
    • Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card
    :x:

P.S.
    I already have a case so dont worry about that.

2. Blind-Summit

Blind-Summit Guest

Ok,

ABIT boards are a bit crappo. I reccoment ASUS or MSI

Mousepad fine - can't really get that wrong!

Coolmax I haven't heard of. It's a fanless PSU, which sounds good, but I wouldn't reccomend. I have just bought an Akasa 400W PSU with a 12cm fan. It runs well and the fan is so quiet yet cools the PSU well, and draws heat out of the case as well. I highly reccomend that you look into PSU's more, and the 12cm fan versions are always good. Go for the big names as they are ususally the most reliable

Athlon 64 3500 - good choice. The 130nm runs faster but the newer 90nm is cooler and more efficient. One is the Winchester, one is Newcastle core - I forget which is which

Corsair RAM - excellent choice (PC3200?)

HD is good. I would partition this to maybe 15 / 20 GB for your windows dir to run. It's better than just a singe drive letter

Keyboard & Mouse fine

Viewsonic are OK for screens - 21" always good!

DVD drive is the same as mine. Smooth action and pretty quiet. Very good

Soundcard all ok, as long as you don't want to do any home recording. I have a home studio, and you don't go near Soundblaster cards for that!

On the whole, good setup :big grin:

3. I also got a Plantronics .90 Headphone. Will it work well with the Audigy 2 soundcard?

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

First off, the Audigy 2 sucks. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is far superior.

The funny the is the Santa Cruz was released back in 2000. Creative still has yet to create a comparable card. The best part is that the MSRP is $39.99.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-102&depa=0

Also, Chaintech's boards are less finicky than Abit's, but they don't have a super good OCing feature set. My Chaintech 7NIL1 is the best board I have ever used.

Also, MGE makes better power supplies than Coolmax.

5. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Finally. Another Chaintech supporter!

I became a convert after my 7NIL1 arrived last Wednesday.

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

They really do make a quality product, Chaintech. They are one of those little known gem brands.

My 7NIL1 is the best mATX board for the money, IMO. Better than that ECS crap.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

this thread is going so wrong...

ABIT K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard
    It's okay... I'd go for something with an nVidia chipset... And I'd avoid ABit if you don't know what you're doing.

COOLMAX 450W CX-450
    Hell fucking no. Go with something decent. Sparkle, Fortron, Enermax, Silverstone.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card
    I'd recommend something better. MAudio, for example. Not the worst choice, but there's better avaiable for the same macaroni as the ZS.

8. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I agree with you 100% on M-Audio, Ogre. I just feel that Turtle Beach makes a great porduct for no money at all.

The MGE Vigor 500w is the best PSU for the money if you like the modded look. If you don't, the MGE SuperCharger 600w is the best deal.

I have an MGE 500w stock PSU powering my dual CPU setup with no problems.

EDIT: I'd recommend this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-049&depa=1

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no on that mobo.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'm sorry, but the build quality of my Chaintech is superior to that of my brother's Asus.

The active cooler is completely silent, and it's effective to the point of where it doesn't even get warm after intense gaming.

Also, the overall quality of the AGP/PCI slots is better, the capacitors are soldered in better, and the rear ports are better made, as well as the ZIF socket.

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

yet.... you were saying that your chaintech board had a defective chipset....that makes perfect sense. I'd also like to know how the PCI/AGP slots are 'better', and the socket.

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

If you reread my post, I said that it was a CPU overheating issue. These ThermalTake coolers suck blue whale.

The PCI/AGP slots feel more "firm" when they are mounted, and the board does not wiggle if you push on them.

Also, the socket feels more sturdy, and it's arm is easier to move/secure.

13. I've decided instead of a viewsonic i will be getting an NECFE991SB 19".

14. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

thats a nice monitor, one of the best CRTs id say
    i have one, or the mitsubishi equivalent actually, and it rules
    but... i have to say if i had $350 lying around id still go for that Benq 19" LCD on newegg

15. But I heard that CRT monitors have better refresh rates than LCD monitors.

16. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

they do, but it really just doesnt matter
    they can put an upper limit on fps in games, but if your hardware can keep it at 60 or whatever the max refresh is for your monitor, it will stay there, and that stability is really the important thing with fps
    you wont notice the difference between that and 85 or whatever, especially since LCD's dont need to flash a light like CRT's do. they are just more comfortable in general also.
    get an LCD with DVI and a response time less than 16ms(sos to not have ghosting(shadows) on everything) and you wont look back