A+ Certification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Jul 21, 2003.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Anyone taken the test? Is it hard? I need to be taking it soon and would like to know how you guys prepared. Thanks in advance.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

It is easy and not worth it if you are paying for it. But if your employer is then go take it.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I would second that. Find out what all the material will cover and figure out which areas you know you are week in and brush up on them. I didn't find the test difficult (I think I missed 2 or 3 questions total and they were on laser printer repair).

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

what did you guys use to study??? I am thinking of doing my A+ soon, just unsure what to study, I have tons of junk on my computer ( those virtual books) but they sux

any recommendations??

5. MP

MP New Member

i screwed up on the printer parts but everything else is easy. If ya got some extra cash to burn having the cert can't hurt

6. Weapon X

Weapon X Well-Known Member

I took it back in '97. I'm sure it's pretty different now. :o It wasn't too bad, but I paid for it myself.

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I'm entirely too lazy to learn anything about archaic printers or memorize IRQ settings.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Argh. Don't waste your time guys.. it's not really worth anything at this point.. Put it towards another CompTIA exam like Net+ or Server+ or something actually useful.

A+ won't even get you a minimum wage job at CompUSA at this point; although I know Best Buy's computer department gets excited when they see an application with A+ on it.

I guess I'll contribute something useful to this thread - Both exams are extremely simple. Get the Troy Techs or Test Killers and grab the Transcender and practice. If you can pass the Transcender 3 times over 90%, then you are ready for the exam. Get ready to learn how to tell the difference between different chips and ROMs as well as diving headfirst into addressing.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=608976

9. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Agreed. In this job market people with higher-level Cisco and Microsoft certifications are snatching up even shit jobs. The A+ just isn't going to get you much.

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Yeah, A+ isn't worth all that much in IT.

For studying, I had a ExamCram series book and just read that for 1 week and then took the test. I helped I had been working with the nitty-gritty of computing for several years before hand so I already had all the IRQs, addresses, and ports memorized. I found the book was handy to cover any concepts I might not have experienced in the real world that might be asked on the exam (like printer repair).

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

A+, Network+, and Server+ are your entry level, basic certs. they show u can regurgitate from a book.