GUN a cache so extensive that the National Guard was called to haul it away

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 22, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man indicted in gun cache
    e-mail print

Thursday, June 22, 2006

By KIBRET MARKOS
    STAFF WRITER

Sherwin Raymond of Ridgefield described himself as an avid advocate of the right to bear arms and owned what police said was a formidable collection of guns to prove it.

A Bergen County grand jury described him differently: a hazard to public safety.

On Wednesday, the 83-year-old retiree was indicted on charges that he recklessly created "a risk of widespread injury or damage" by storing hundreds of guns, rifles and shotguns at his home.

The five-count indictment also charges Raymond with storing gunpowder and a host of large-capacity magazines in the basement, attic, garage and living room of the home he shared with his wife, Elizabeth.

Police said they stumbled upon the cache on June 1, 2005, when neighbors called 911 to alert them that Elizabeth Raymond, 83, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease, was wandering around disoriented.

Officers walked her back to her home, where they said they found all the doors and windows open. After spotting the guns, they obtained a search warrant. They sifted through the residence for hours, recovering 477 guns and 100,000 rounds of ammunition -- a cache so extensive that the National Guard was called to haul it away. Elizabeth Raymond has not been charged.

The Raymonds' listed phone number is no longer working. No one answered the door at their home Wednesday.

Sherwin Raymond's attorney, Evan Nappen, pledged to "vigorously defend" his client.

"Ammunition is not a hazardous material," said Nappen. "Thousands of residents in New Jersey are allowed to have ammunition in their homes. I don't know what makes this situation any different."

Nappen also said Raymond has not been in the best of health, suffering from kidney failure.

"They are an elderly couple," he said of the Raymonds. "Hardly a threat to society."

Sherwin Raymond once served three years in prison for his role in illegal abortions carried out in makeshift operating rooms. He was also convicted of selling guns and ammunition to an undercover federal agent.

Police said the collection included sawed-off shotguns, AK-47s and other assault rifles, all of which are banned in New Jersey. Ridgefield police later determined that the majority of the guns were illegal.

The indictment, however, does not relate to illegal purchase or possession of the firearms, Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Deepa Jacobs said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has said it is tracing each weapon to determine whether it was bought illegally or was used in a crime. Agent Delano Reid, who heads the bureau in New York, did not return two phone calls Wednesday.

Raymond is scheduled for an arraignment on the current charges July 10 in Superior Court in Hackensack.

E-mail: [email protected]

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

what a joke. it makes me want to puke

3. fuck new jersey, fuck jersey cops, fuck this shit, now im in a bad mood

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

WTF is up with them attacking all these old people?

5. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

ib he doesnt even get the legal firearms back if all charges are dropped... :(

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

You never get them back.

Pisses me off so much.

7. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

wtf replies. WHY DOES SOMEONE NEED 477 GUNS AND 100,000 ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION YOU FUCKING DOUCHES?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Because that's what he wants?

Why can't he have 477 guns and 100,000 rounds of ammo? I'd love to have 100k rounds. I'd never have to go to the store for ammo again.

9. Stare At The Sun

Stare At The Sun New Member

Why not?

There is no difference between 1 gun or 100 guns. Its A FUCKING INDIVIDUAL CHOICE YOU NAZI.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whats wrong with having 477 guns? If I had the cash for it I'de have a collection bigger then that, 100k of ammo would be nice no need to worry about always having to order more ammo, and if hes a collector of firearms good chance he might collect old, odd and no longer available ammo.

11. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Maybe he wanted one of everything :mamoru:. The guy was 83 fucking years old. At the rate I buy guns I'll have at LEAST that many by the time I'm his age if I decide not to sell any. Why the fuck does it matter how many guns I own? It's not like I can use them all at once.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Hell, doesn't Jay Leno have like 20 cars? No one flips out on him...

13. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

:Americans: :hsugh:

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It'd be a lot more effective you actually came up with some kind of argument...

15. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If I had 477 guns I definately wouldn't have them lying all over the place but I also wouldn't want to tell someone how to store their guns. If someone breaks in and uses one against them or steals them all because they weren't secured then that's on them. As long as that never happens then who gives a shit?

16. reman

reman New Member

the 100,000 rounds were for his mg42 that will only last for only like 10 minutes. :)

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Let's see. Maybe he was a collector? I buy 3 or 4 a year. Do I "NEED" them? No, but I don't need 500+ DVDs, a quad-core computer, or 16 different types of vodka either. I ENJOY them so I buy them. I mean unless someone wants to claim he has 477 hands to use them all at once, I don't think you can make a valid claim that 477 are any more dangerous than 1.

As for the ammo let's see, I can go through 200 rounds in about an hour and a half at the range. I'm sure there are plenty of people in here that go through more than that in a trip to the range. 100,000 rounds is a lot but it's not extreme by any measure.

18. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

who gives a fuck. why do people want 10 kids? Why do people want to not eat meat? Why do people want to be assholes? BECAUSE THEY FUCKING WANT TO!!! If it doesn't impose on anyone else then who cares.

19. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

This argument made me change my opinion. Thank you for the strong, unbiased, relevant thought. :hsugh:

20. since when is this illegal?

21. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

Fuck, it seems like there allready stealing everybodys guns.

22. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

What I think everyone is missing is he had prior firearms convictions...who wants to bet they were Felonies? And that he had illegal guns.

Now if he had 477 legal guns and had never done anything wrong that would be BS.

23. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Because he doesn't live in commie land that limits what he can spend his money on.

24. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I want to know more about this:

He was convicted, but it doesnt say that he served any time. What did he sell the agent, and why was the agent even trying to buy from him? :noes:

25. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

stop making us australian seem like ignorant liberals...!