A/C chatter,

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ManinCamo, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Jul 5, 2001
    95 Civic EX:

Within the last week my A/C will chatter when engaged. I beleive it is from the AC compressor.

I used belt dressing on all the belts, however that did not seem to do anything.

Is there anything that typically would cause this? Anything I can do, short of taking it into a shop? The A/C condensor was replaced about two years ago after a run in with a deer. The system was fixed up, recharged, and was working as well as can be expected considering its a 11 year old economy car.

Along with this chattering, the A/C will blow non-conditioned air. IE: A/C is on and drawing power -- I can hear it is engaged However I will be getting warm humid air from outside, or partially cooled air. Disengaging and reengaging the AC will temporarily solve this.

In my head, I know that the A/C Compressor has probably warn out and needs replaced, but I'm hoping OT can prove me wrong.
  2. IO_303

IO_303 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I would say eather AC clutch, but if its drawing power then thats out and the only thing left is that the compressor is messed up