SRS A buddy of mine just called me...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Achmiel, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

I guess he had a revelation about life after loosing a week of his life. From what I can understand from his rantings, he described normal people as being fish in the sea, every once-in-a-while a fish will jump out of the sea and see what I gather is "the next level". This can be done thru intense mediation, but most people end up seeing the truth do to certain "illegal" drugs.

Anybody hear of something like this?

I think he's crazy, but some part of me is saying it makes sense. :dunno:

2. wufei

wufei New Member

enlightment? disillusionment?

things get fucked up when you're high :eek5:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think what he's saying is that the drugs fucked with his thought processes enough that, completely by accident, he thought of something completely plausible, yet completely contrary to the way he normally thinks, and so now he's convinced it was a revelation from God or something like that. It's not a bad thing, so long as it doesn't lead to addiction; if he's lucky, he kick a kick in the ass to broaden his horizons.

4. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

5. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Depends, sometimes it's possible to see great truths while high. However they can't be analyzed solely while high. He needs to think about what he saw while sober and think logically about it before doing a complete overhaul of his way of life.

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

People see/think things when they're high that seem completely real and true, when they're anything but. That's part of the appeal of drugs.

No enlightenment is achieved through the use of drugs. Enlightenment only comes through deep thought and hard work. There is no easy way to enlightenment.

7. darnit

darnit New Member

I would tend to disagree.. only because some drugs do make you lose your inhibitions. Your person inhibitions (your blocks) can be the thing that is holding you back from seeing some inner truths. The very same truths you dont want to face.
    But they only problem lies in the fact that seeing them isnt dealing with them.And from my own personal past of drug induced haze, even after I had seen my faults through drugs, I didnt want to deal with them. And as soon as my high was gone , I blocked them off again and wrote it off.
    this is not to endorse drugs by any means.I dont even do them any more.
    Just my personal experiances

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Losing your inhibitions doesn't bring about enlightenment. It's an artificial way of freeing yourself that ultimately only puts more chains on you. Try learning to lose your inhibitions while sober.

9. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Who the fuck are you to make this statement? Have you personally done all the drugs out there or at least conducted or done some reasearch into this area and concluded that there is nothing to be gained in the way of enlightenment from any of them? Do you personally know the inner workings of the mind and the necessary triggers to set of a wave/state of enlightenment? Can you account for the genetic variations in the brains of people that may make it impossible for some to achieve the trance-like states of enlightenment without drugs? How dare you make such sweeping generalizations about something which you and even the entire scientific/medical community are barely scratching the surface of (I'm talking about the workings of the brain).

Or are you simply spouting off ignorant bullshit ingrained into you by the typical religious sources that say the path to "God/enlightenment" can't be reached any other way?

I've done a lot drugs and I can say that some of them have been immensely powerful for me towards enlightenment and gaining a better understanding of the meaning of life but I, unlike you, won't think of even making such sweeping generalizations about the path to enlightenment and say that my way is the right way. At least keep an open mind and do not condemn or deny the millenia of history through which people have used drugs to to at least help them on the path towards enlightenment.

10. Achmiel

Update: my buddy (who I cut off contact with the beginning of this year due to his extreme drug use) stopped by out of the blue last night. He looked like shit and was really "out there". I don't know if I should man up and go get him some help or what not. I just don't wanna get dragged down again - I have too much responsibility on my shoulders right now, and can't handle much more drama.

11. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

:sad2:

Offer him some help and some advice but I wouldn't force anything on him. It's up to him to make the steps to turn his life around. Tell him to step back and take a look at himself and what he's become. If he's happy with it then let him be, if he's not then he needs to take a break and get his shit together.

People often fail to realize how powerful drugs are and they treat them like toys for fun without any real appreciation for the damage they can do if not used responsibly. These are not toys, they are very powerful and as easily as they can take you to a heavenly high they can bring you to a hellish low. Be informed, be careful, use restraint and respect the power of the things you deal with and your drug experience can be truly rewarding. :)

Is he addicted to anything? I know legal drugs that will kill his cravings. He doesn't need to go to rehab and fuck up his life over this small misstep.

I've done 50 lines of coke in a weekend then stopped dead for 12 months. Addiction is nothing compared to willpower. :hs:

12. deusexaethera

That's what I said.

13. deusexaethera

Spoken like a true straightedge.

14. deusexaethera

So maybe drugs let you practice so you have some idea of what your actions and goals should be while sober. There's no harm in that. And if you haven't ever smoked up, you have no business commenting because you don't have any experience to base your comments on.

15. Achmiel

To put it lightly... he's a junkie :wtc:

I've given him advice, offered him help, but he hasn't/won't listen to me.

He says he's happy after his realizations, but he's was still trying to hook up with something yesterday :uh:

16. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Then leave him be. You've opened the door, it's his choice whether or not to walk through it.

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I find it funny how you think I haven't ever.

18. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

95% of people who use drugs do so to escape reality. Regarding enlightenment, even if usage of a drug brings you to an enlightened state, it only lasts the duration of the high.

I recommend you look up the definition of enlightenment.

19. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Life altering experiences != duration of the high.

Tell us about your drug experiences that you claim to have had in the post above. I'm curious.

20. deusexaethera

You assume that nobody remembers the crazy thoughts they had while intoxicated. If you had ever been intoxicated, you would know perfectly well that you remember everything about the experience. Then, when you're sober, you can think back with a clear head and decide whether your temporary enlightenment can apply to your normal life.

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

enlightenment is not a sum of experiences or a sum of thoughts, enlightenment is a way of thinking.