GUN A brief history of the AR-15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by puppeteer107, Dec 17, 2006.

1. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

The reason why the AR-15 became the military standard rifle for America was because after Colt bought rights from Armalite they went around the world trying to convince armies and police forces to buy them. The Asian countries liked the gun because it fit their smaller frames better. Unfortunately, the round was not a NATO standard and that means the guns could not be bought with some US military aid, so the countries would have to pay the full cost as opposed to nearly no cost for M1s and M14s. So Colt had to convince the American government to adopt the AR which then made it a NATO standard in order to sell them to Asian nations.

I bought this book yesterday at a gun show.
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/AR-15-Complet...ef=sr_1_1/105-4704979-7592453?ie=UTF8&s=books

2. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Why did they go down to 5.56 mm again?

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A soldier can carry more 5.56 then 7.62x51

4. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Was that really the only reason?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5.56 FMJ causes more traumatic wound profile then 7.62 ball, also to go along with the lighter ammo 5.56 rifles are lighter then 7.62 rifles, 5.56 is alot more controllable on full auto, thus more accurate fire. It was thought the extra range of 7.62 wasn't needed at the time most were envisioning NATO VS WP in C. Europe where engagments would be at pretty close ranges, bunch of other reasons to I'm sure.

Personally if I'm going into a war I rather have a M14, FAL or other 7.62 MBR then a 5.56 rifle. I might not need the extra pentration or long range ability but I rather have it then not have it.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

An AR15 with A2 config upper is basically identical to an M16A2 other then some internal trigger group differences and bolt carrier allowing for Full auto or 3rd burst in the M16.

7. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

The real advantage of 223 is its instability at contact. The bullet is designed to "roll and rumble" so as to cause massive wound cavities.

This in tern then removes 3 people from the battle field. One soldier ( the injured one) and 2 who aid in moving him to the rear so in effect, you remove 3 soldiers with 1 bullet where as 7.62 removes one soldier and perhaps one support person if they move the body at all.

8. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

tobad that our enemy now doesnt care about moving wounded.

when my mom did her doctor training with the navy they shot some goats to show the damage. one goat got hit in the spine and ripped apart becuase of the round.tiny entry massive exit. good old low velocity.

9. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

There were two trains of thought when looking to replace the M1. The Army was looking at two ways of doing things, a salvo method which would fire rounds in very quick succession or even multiple rounds in the same cartridge :eek3: or the small caliber high velocity method that won out. The small caliber was thought useful because it supposedly made range estimation unneccessary within 300 yards.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

People also forget that the AR-15 was first bought by the AirForce and meant mainly as an AirBase guard weapon. Unfortunately the rest of the military adopted it.