GUN A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 24, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/117740407596600.xml&coll=2

A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited
    Holdup victim had concealed-carry permit
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007
    Damian G. Guevara and Patrick O'Donnell
    Plain Dealer Reporters

Damon Wells is the man gun supporters were imagining when they fought for the right to carry concealed weapons.

He had a permit to carry his gun, and he had the gun on him when a pair of teenage thieves approached him Saturday night on his front porch in Cleveland.

When one of the youths pulled a gun, Wells drew his and shot one of the boys several times in the chest, police said. Arthur Buford, 15, died after stumbling away and collapsing on a sidewalk near East 134th Street and Kinsman Road.

City prosecutors decided Monday that Wells, 25, was justified and would not be charged for what appears to be the first time a concealed-carry permit holder has shot and killed an attacker.

Nonetheless, the shooting reignited the debate that flared three years ago when Ohio's concealed-carry law took effect.

Gun supporters said the weapon saved Wells' life. Opponents said it took Buford's - that the 15-year-old might be alive if a citizen had not been armed.

An angry throng of about 30 youths gathered Monday and set up a memorial at the intersection where Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, died.

His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned why police did not punish Buford's shooter.

"They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."
    :ugh: your cousin was a worthless piece of shit you dumb cunt
    Buford's accomplice disappeared after the shooting and had not been caught as of Monday night. Police found a .38-caliber handgun in the mail chute of a nearby house. They believe it belonged to Buford or the other suspect, Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Police took a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson firearm from Wells as evidence, the police report shows.

Both sides of the gun debate said it was sad that a teenager died.

"It's tragic," said Jim Irvine, chairman of the Buckeye Firearms Association. "Anytime somebody dies, it's tragic, but it's hard to have any sympathy when he chose to have a gun and go threaten somebody's life."

Irvine said it was "great that a potential victim is able to continue his life instead of having a criminal take it."

Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.

"This is one of the few where they actually used it to stop a crime," Hoover said.

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here."

A man who answered a phone number for Wells refused to comment and hung up. No one answered the door at Wells' home.

Plain Dealer reporters Jesse Tinsley and Brie Zeltner and researcher Cheryl Diamond contributed to this story.

2. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

would not be charged for what appears to be the first time a concealed-carry permit holder has shot and killed an attacker.

:wtf:

3. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

do they mean like in that county or what?

4. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Good for that guy and fuck that 15 year old punk ass kid.

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I don't care how old anybody is. If they point a gun at me and threaten me they are going to get shot. I refuse to let some criminal take me down without getting to put up a fight.

At least the courts are starting to side with the victims as opposed to the criminals.

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

most likely, i havent seen anything the past 3 years of a CCW actually being able to use it, but then again Cuyahoga County gives out those official signs saying "no CCW here" like its candy, its practically impossible to carry in Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs.

7. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

if you're stupid enough to pull a gun on somebody you should die... /thread

8. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Eitherway someone's dead, might as well keep the well informed and productive citizen than some little shit who takes from others

9. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

The little 15 year old piece of shit deserved to die for trying to pull off that robbery. I hope that little fucker died a slow painful death while he bled on the sidewalk. And fuck his relatives for trying to ignore the fact that the little faggot tried to commit a crime.

10. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Wasnt there a story about an older guy going to walmart and he saw a fight between a husband and ex-wife and the husband was about to stab her and the older guy, who had a CCW, shot and killed him? I think i read it like 2 years ago here in WMD?

EDIT: I guess this story is different he saved someone elses life, not his own.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

His cousin is named Tameka...any bets on the skin color of the guy who was shot?

12. mauk

mauk OT Supporter

are people really this stupid? :rofl:

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dated a Tameka :eek3:

14. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

That 15 yo thief was most probably a nigger and therefore wouldnt be a use to scoiety for as long as he lived. He illegally owned a gun which he pulled on an innocent guy and demanded his money. He fucked up and now he paid for it. If youre going to act like an adult you may as well be treated like one

15. MTech

MTech New Member

Which is a joke.. I hate going there it's liquor stores and chicken stands on every corner and good luck finding a gas station in the ghetto!

Nothing like going to a concert in the flats and coming out feeling like you're in south africa :o

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

what is it they say fiction has to stick to the probable reality doesn't. We have an illegally posed gun by an underaged thief versus a legally owned and legally permitted and carrying adult. There doesn't seem to be a choice to be made here.

I'm sorry, but this is a matter of personal responsibility (and your family accepting that as well) your dumb you doing multiple illegal things including assault with a deadly weapon robbery and illegal possession of said deadly weapon. You accept the potential consequences of your actions which means getting caught. Honestly at age 15 he pulled a gun who have gone to juvi gotten his minor record sealed and kept doing this.

The scary thing is that these same people would be complaining about the thief's death if the killing had not been caused by the target of his crime, but by a policeman who witnessed the actual event. They'd just be complaining about something different.

17. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Fucking retards are a prime example of why they live in the poor parts of town. Anything that happens is never their fault, it's someone else's.

18. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

:rofl:

Cleveland is pretty messed up in general, i hate the place with the exception of sports. When i was asked what i was doing one weekend and i responded "going target shooting: i got the :ugh: look. I need to move to Arizona or Nevada or something, but i'm not sure if i could live cross country from my family, everyone is from the Cleveland area

19. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

:rofl:

20. Werm

Werm Guest

This is how it's ALWAYS seen. Criminal jerk-off shouldn't have been shot... he was just trying to make a living or something by robbing people at gunpoint :crying:

He would be alive if HE didn't try to rob someone... NOT if the citizen was armed. He made a choice... to threaten someones LIFE with a gun attempting to rob him... HE made the life/death choice... the citizen was just protecting myself.

21. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

No no no... You don't get it... He was a GOOD kid that just got in with the wrong crowd. He'd never of actually hurt/shot the guy. :mamoru: :greddy:

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

boo fucking hoo. Dumb ass kid deserved it

23. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so they took his gun as evidence? wonder how long until he gets it back

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:big grin:

Seriously though I don't know why concealed carry is even relevant to the discussion, the man was on his porch. Under most state law you don't need a license to conceal a weapon on your own property

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

its not relevant, but if you banned guns none of this would have happened at all :eek3: