SRS A Book everyone in RoR should read

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZZex, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Heya. I'm no promoter, but I'm currently reading "A Million Little Pieces."
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...6?v=glance&n=283155&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

My sister is a diehard reader because of her degree, so she recommended this book for me. James Frey attended the Oprah show just recently. It's just about a drug addict who gave up on life but was forced into a Rehab clinic. It's a very deep book about his pain and his life in the clinic. It's a book everyone should read. I was just putting it in RoR because those who has had addiction problems may relate more to it. Good luck all! Read read read!

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

That's nice of you to suggest a book for us read. However, it sounds as if the author of the book does not embrace 12-step recovery. Although there are other ways, I personally believe 12-step recovery to be the sure way, there's a reason 12-step recovery is popular, because it works. 12-step recovery works for me, so I really have no reason to seek another method.

3. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Well it's really not a book ABOUT the life of the 12-step recovery. It's just his experience with life and the pain he goes through. Just because he doesn't do the 12-step program, that doesn't mean it's a bad book :hsd:

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

It may not be a bad book, however it's not a book I would recommend for an addict who is seeking recovery or an addict who is in recovery. I know the 12-step program works, so that's what I recommend. The other literature I've read that is not 12-step tends to slam 12-step recovery, often times the author is an atheist or is un-willing to identify as an addict.

Therefore, I would defintely recommend trying 12-step recovery before reading such a book. If someone has a serious problem with 12-step recovery that they cannot get through, it may not be a bad idea to seek out other methods. However, 12-step recovery works for me and countless others, so why should we read a book about another method?

5. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I dunno, I read 12-step and non 12-step literature all the time, I've read Rational Recovery, Moderation Management. I have a lot of heroes who are clean through Buddhism or other means. I look up to Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Jim Carrol etc. They are all clean and on their own terms. I think supplementing my recovery with the teachings and experiences of others is very helpful. Bill W didn't discover or invent anything in the 12 steps, other people have been applying those very same principles to their own lives for centuries, or similar ones. I think it is all the same kind of thing.

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Rational Recovery is NOT the same thing as the 12-steps. The only thing that they share in common is total abstinence, personally I think there is something wrong with Jack Trimpey. Moderation management is not total abstinence and is not really "the same kind of thing."

Recovery through religion (i.e. Buddhism) is more similar to the 12-steps than are the other programs. These people are recovering on a spiritual basis, and that is something that I personally believe is also an effective method. However, it's not easy for everyone to do. If I had read Rational Recovery when I had very little clean time, it would have done nothing but prolong my suffering and isolation. When I read it, I had a year and a half clean and I stopped halfway through because it was such crap.

7. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I guess I should rephrase that, because I think RR is crap also, and he is a maniac. I guess I mean that I like to supplement my recovery with other wrtings and I like to remain open minded. I think that anyone's experience with recovering from something is very similar. Some Buddhists beleive that we all are recovering from something.

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good point, the reason I read RR to begin with was to have an open mind. However, I could only tolerate it for so long. I think it's a good idea to have an open mind, but I believe one should develop a solid foundation on one type of recovery before reading everything out there.

9. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I read a Million Little Pieces while on vacation. It is a remarkable book. As ugly as it got, i finished it with a feeling of hope. If James Frey could clean up than anyone can. It is amazing that people really can change for the better. I would definitely reccomend this book to people in recovery because even though he doesn't embrace 12 step recovery this book does illustrate the importance of the 3rd and 4th steps and how only addicts can help other addicts.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Cool, thanks for the review selfpollution

11. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

scratch that review, turns out the author, James Frey is full of shit. Probably wasn't even a real addict, way to go Oprah!

Check out the smoking gun article on him, it is all over the news now. It is sad because a lot of addicts looked to him and his "memoirs" for strength and hope and it turns out was just some opportunist rich kid who went to rehab and never did any of the things he claimed in his books. His "bottom" was probably when his parents cancelled his AMEX.

12. karmastang

karmastang New Member

I read that book and knew right away some parts of it were fiction. Like when he's in the treatment center and he has to go for 2 root canals and other major stuff and he can't have anything at all for the pain. That's B.S. There's no way a treatment place would send you for major surgury without anesthetic.
    I think this book is dangerous for anyone in early recovery. Basically he says addiction is a weakness and be just deciding to stay sober he beat his addiction. HELLO, if that's all it took none of us would have ended up like we did....

13. pedram

pedram Guest

this book is amazing so far im only on page 80 or so rightnow

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

yeah I got that book for Christmas, and I also read the article about him supposedly fabricating the stories. I will withold any opinion until further review.