A&P A big decision for me: Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D vs. Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by creep, Sep 1, 2004.

1. creep

creep Guest

At first I was crazy for the Digital Rebel, but after viewing pictures of the Nikon D70, I'm switching my opinion. The pictures look absolutely fantastic, and have the detail that I am looking for.

I want a camera that...

1. Will take crisp, clean, sharp pictures
    2. Easy to understand, not produce crap pictures
    3. Beautiful, vibrant color
    4. A great, detailed macromode
    5. Clean, well lit, crisp night time pictures
    Which one is for me?

2. bosox

bosox *

1-either
    2-either
    3-either
    4-either-macro depends on the lens you use, not the camera
    5-either

don't be tricked into thinking that by buying a certain camera your pics will automatically be great. it's not all about the camera, but more about the photographer.

good composition, good lighting, good subject,etc., these are what make a good picture.

3. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Also the small thing such as lens will play a major factor in picture quality,

4. DamonS

DamonS Flyin' High Again

I am going to have to side with what has already been said. It is normally the photographer and his/her understanding of what the camera is capable of that can make a great picture.
    I have shot pretty extensively with the 300D (DRebel) and the D70 and find them to be pretty close.

If you are just starting out, I would lean to the DRebel as it comes bundled with a kit lens (18-55mm) and the D70 is just the body, you will need to fork out extra for a lens.

edit: The above paragraph should have included the words "in the same price category"

5. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

what bosox said. the camera is just a tool, if you don't use it properly crap pictures are guaranteed.

either camera will fulfill all of your objectives however what you really want is the ability to take clean, crisp, sharp, colourful, well lit pictures. and that only comes with practice, practice, practice.

6. Amd

Amd Guest

7. redna

redna New Member

I decided on th D70 because i like the feel of it. You should go into a camera store and hold the camera. The one that feels more comfortable in your hands wil probably be the one you will be able to use better.

8. Easton

Easton New Member

I think the decision should be based on how far and deep into photography you want to go in terms of professionalism.

If you want to keep it as a hobby, go for the D70 as it's a better camera than the 300D.

But if you want to climb the mountain and someday be a professional, then go for the 300D. The reason is because the most significant decision between the 300D and the D70 is NOT the camera body itself.... but rather - the lens system you choose. At this point you decide which bandwagon you're going to go on... the Nikon lens system or the Canon. It's an important decision because it's VERY expensive to change to a new lens system later in the future.

Most pros use Canon, not for the lenses but for the superior bodies (in the pro market sense, obviously not with the 300D). If you buy a D70 now, and someday you become a pro, you want to use the new 1Ds Mark III or whatever... but you can't since you're stuck with the Nikon lens system which you've already invested $10,000 in over the years...

Anyways the moral of the story is not to focus too much on the camera body itself, but to stand back and look at it from a wider point of view.

9. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

there are many nikon pros out there. True, there are a lot more canon ones but shooting nikon doesn't preclude earning a living. I believe the disparity in lenses today is nowhere near what it was several years ago when most pros were ditching Nikon. It's true that Canon do have more steam behind them though.

However, having a close look at available lenses for each brand before making a decision is a wise idea. If one maker has lenses that suit your shooting a lot more than the other then it'll be a factor in your decisions.

When reading reviews, the D70 body just seemed much more appealing to me than the 300D. And I definitely love using it. I certainly wasn't willing to spite myself and get a 300D just in case Nikon isn't popular in 10 years and I want to turn pro. I don't plan to have $10k in kit any time soon either!!

10. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

What are the best prices for these cameras now? I havent looked in months

11. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

I went with the Nikon D70 because I like to shoot sports photography. With the buffer in the D70 I can shoot 12 shots at once. With the 300 I couldn't.

12. dmora

dmora Guest

I've played with both and despite my little set back i would still chose a D70 over a 300d. The 300d felt like a toy and not a pro/semi pro DSLR.

13. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Both are more or less equals, the D70 comes out ahead on the body/performance, and 300d on price/image quality.

I'd really suggest going to a camera store, handling both, and then deciding which one to buy. At this level of DSLRs they are pretty much interchangeable, its a personal preference.

14. sony

sony Active Member

:slap: Its not marketed at as a pro/semi pro DSLR and neither does it feel like a toy to me. The kit lens is light and flimsy. All the other lenses I use are much heaver than the body is and makes the camera feel not so "toy-like"

Its all up to you. The 300D is going to be around 500-600 dollars used 3 weeks from now. The D70 is around a grand or more.

Do the math. Buy whatever you can afford. Remember, with this choice, you're not so much buying a body as much as you're buying into a system.

Canon or Nikon?

15. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

If your comparing this level camera. You should be comparing the D70 to the Canon 10d. The 300d is should not even be in the picture