A+B workouts - what's the "best" one?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KingGargantuan, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

A+B workouts meaning the workouts that, once you've done workout A and B, youve worked your entire body - possibly also doing squats in both workouts.

I know Rippetoe is great and Stronglifts 5x5 is supposedly a ripp-off of Rippetoe but it looks decent.

I don't think madcow's 5x5 is quite the same as the rippetoe type A+B workouts.

I read about this one on bodybuilding.com, which sounds interesting.
    Code:
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light. 

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats 
    Bench Presses 
    Bent-Over Rows 
    Overhead Barbell Presses 
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps. 
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and 

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days. 
    i'm still trying to figure out which workout i should do that i can toss in some cardio type work (for heart rate, not for fat loss) and not have it scrw up everything.

rippetoe, stronglifts, and that one i posted appeal to me since they're not time consuming and they dont involve alot of extra equipment that i dont have (pulldows, leg extensions, *.cable exercises)

BUT, they have very very little cardio benefit and i could use that.

flame suit on.

:love: you guys, sorry if i come across as a troll alot of the time.

there's TOO MUCH info and routines all over the place. i would like to get back to basics but i dont have the equipment to do it.

:rant2:

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

Look man, I'll lay out a no frills basic fucking program. It works,

Day 1:
    Squat (3x5-10)
    Light squat
    Lunges (3x8-12)
    Stiff legged dl / RDL (3x8-10)
    Calf raises (3x10-12)
    Abs

Day 2
    Bench (3x5-10)
    Shoulder press (3x5-10)
    Bent over bb row (3x8-10)
    Tricep Ext (3x8-10)
    Chinups (3xmax)

Day 3:
    Deadlift (3x5-10)
    Light Squat / Front squats
    RDL, Good Mornings or SLDL (3x8-10)
    Bent over row (3x6-10)
    Dips (3xmax)
    Abs

Done

Start at 10's for bench, squat and dead, slowly increase the intensity and decrease the volume until you peak at a 5rm. Once you get there, you can do some heavy doubles and then attempt a new 1rm. Then start over again. The light dead and light squat are there mainly for technical purposes. You can do a fourth light upper day, but you're lazy.

This is honestly the most basic form of linear periodization around and has worked for years and years for lots of people. It gives you a lot of solid muscle and strength gains. If you want cardio, do some fucking cardio. Weights = strength, aerobic conditioning =/ weights.

3. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

had a bunch of crap typed up but it was basically just excuses. thanks, peal.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

damn that shit looks complicated

kiss!

5. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

pick a program stick with it throw in cardio after or off days

6. planeh

planeh Guest

you have the same problem I had, but probably worse...lol. You think too much, just go out and do it.

7. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

:rofl: yea

i keep getting distracted with other crap (major ADD) including rebuilding my bench, sanding and primering my rusty squat stands (which look really good now, btw), making shit to hang my surfboards on the wall, surfing, leaking floor problems in my townhouse, blah blah excuse excuse etc etc

so i spend more time dreaming about working out than i do actually working out which = lots of time googling shit and workouts.

rippetoe was working really well for me, even though ceaze mentioned what i was doing wasnt really rippetoe, until i stopped when i felt it was hindering my surfing ability.

yea, i think too much. right now i'm doing it again. i think i'll just start doing rippetoe again and then add in some high rep endurance type surfing specific exercises where i can. :dunno:

anything is better than nothing.

8. planeh

planeh Guest

yah reading all your threads you seem to not know wtf you're doing or what you want to do. I was the same way and my cousin who's a bodybuilder and powerlifter said something like dude stop thinking and pick up the weight. He took me to his gym and showed me a few things and I haven't looked back since. I'm losing weight, nearly 40lbs now and things are going well.

9. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

I've been doing these style workouts for the past two months, and really enjoy the fact that I'm hitting multiple muscle groups per workout, and getting stronger, based on doing more compound mass movements.

Good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.