GUN 9MM Target Pistol ?'s

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by htex1004, Mar 16, 2005.

1. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

2 Questions....

1.In on of my latest handgun mags I read they did comparison shoots on a couple PPC match grade 9mm guns. 2 Springfields and a an STI just to show that 9mm can make a good target round and what some PPC gues are shooting.

What are were the 2 springfield pistols one was a 5" with aritocrat rear sight.
    The other was a 6" with a full length heavy rib aristocrat sight and bull barrel.

2. What gun would make the base package to get into that (is there one?). Mainly just the 1911 style manf.'s but in 9mm? Mostly SA and STI? Wanting mainly the fit and accuracy but perhaps not all that bell and whistles right off the bat.

I use a glock 34 right now and in design alone they'll never be that tight, am I right. I mean you can but longer and tighter barrell in it but it won't beat the fitted slide and frame and bushing/barrell of a 1911? The Glock is nice and all but it's made loose and feed everything and never hickup?

Just curious...

2. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

no one....

found a couple other manufactures of some 1911 style 9mm entry level competitoin pistols.

Anything else competativly priced in this catagory? SIG? CZ? ???

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

if you want a good baseline to begin a 9mm Parabellum target pistol with, the Sig P210 is the standard by which all others are measured.

Sig Sauer also released the P226 X-Five, which is a single action target version of their P226 service pistol... they're also about to release the P226 X-Six, which is a 6" barrel version of the X-Five.

you can get a decently made 1911 based 9mm target gun, but you're working with a highly modified version of a relatively inaccurate and unreliable 1911. the 1911 Gov't Model is a great design, but its original design functioned only with hard ball ammo and would jam for a multitude of reasons... but modifications like extractor redesign, ramp redesign, chamber throating, ejection port relief and scalloping, bushing fitment, barrel lug fitment, spring tuning, guide rod retrofit, rail refit, etc will result in a great gun, but for no just hundreds, but sometimes thousands more, espcially if you want a doublestack frame.

the Sig P210 on the other hand is an excellent gun out of the box, but is not cheap... but gives you a more accurate and reliable foundation to begin with.

i love the 1911, but unless you want it chambered in 45acp or 10mm, there are better platforms to begin with, IMO.

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

on a note about the Glock, i've seen some highly modified ones that can shoot some very tight, competitive groups at 25 yards.

the current mens and ladies IDPA champions shoot Glock and are the Factory Glock team.

the ranges shot in PPC are kinda weighed against autopistols though. 50 yard shooting tends to favor fixed barrel guns like revolvers as lockup variations of autopistols can vary widely at 50 yards, which is double the distance most autopistols are proofed at.

there are a few autos as you have mentioned, but i think the majority uses S&W J and K frame 38special/357mag revolvers for PPC.

5. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

Thanks... just the knowledge I was looking for.