GUN 9mm or 40?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bearsdidit, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I'm looking to pick up a CZ and I'm torn between getting a 9 or 40. 40 is pretty hard to find in San Diego and I've read that there is issues with reloading it... Is it true that it is pretty finicky and in particular the brass? I currently do not reload but I'm looking to buy my first press in the next month or so. I'd like to eventually shoot USPSA so I'm kinda leaning towards 40.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

with 40 you have to size the brass all the way down. It's not that big of a deal you just need the right dies. In particular you need the lee or egw "U Die" aka undersized resizing die, and a lee "FCD" aka factory crimp die.

If your intention is to shoot uspsa limited class then yes you should get a 40 with at least 16+1 magazine capacity. Most pistols in limited are in the 19+1 to 20+1 capacity and it is a advantage to have more.

USPSA production class is good to go with 9mm and 10 round mags. You will need to keep the trigger DA/SA. In production everything is scored minor power factor so there is no point going to a larger caliber. In limited to be scored major PF you need to shoot 40 or larger. PF only comes into play on hits outside of the "A Zone" of the target. All "A" hits are full 5 points. Where PF comes into play is hit's on C's or D's. A C is 3 points with major and 2 points in minor, a D is 2 points with major, and 1 point with minor. The way I see it is that anything but A's are expensive. With major you can survive a couple of C's. With minor you have to shoot all A's. Nothing wrong with shooting minor, it teaches you to call those A's

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

thanks again yar for the info. if I was to purchase a square deal in 40, would that have everything I need to effectively size the brass properly?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

no.

The square deal does not use standard dies. You are stuck with proprietary dillon dies. You need a press that takes standard dies like the 550 or 650.

Then the specific dies you need are a EGW U Die, the the LEE die set that includes the FCD

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

fml, thanks. would I have this issue if I purchased used brass that was cleaned? if that even possible? sorry for the newb questions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. SNDP

SNDP New Member

c: .45

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

not very helpful, but thanks anyways.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

it depends.

The whole 40 brass sizing thing has a lot to do with the chamber of the barrel. If the brass was fired from a partially supported chamber such as glocks, HK's, etc it develops a slight buldge at 6:00 o'clock.

If you do no full lenght resize this it will not fit into a match chamber after you reload the case. It would probably fit into a loose factory chamber like on a factory barrel of a CZ.

Now the buying brass part is a moot point. First if your buying brass your generally going to have to size it anyway. You might as well full lenght resize it. So it does solve any problems except say you were too lazy to pick up brass.

Generally brass is just picked up and sold. You still have to clean, and size it. Now if you buy new brass it is already clean and sized. You are going to pay a lot.

Going price on used 40 brass is $56/1000. New 40 brass is is $150/1000. Now this is if you can find brass to buy so the price does fluctuate according to supply and demand. You would be better off buying a case of factory 40 and then shooting that and saving the cases.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Gotcha, after doing a little research on benos it has makes a little more sense. Would it makes sense to have a seperate single stage press with a U die or

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/grxpushthru.html

installed for just resizing? I really dont want to pay the price of a 650 plus all the accys. Lol, the price is an issue along with having to set it all up.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

no. Get a damn 550. That's all you need. Get the dies I mentioned. Your done.

You can later get different toolheads for your 550. Set them up with different dies to load other calibers or do odd jobs.

For example if you were super anal you can set up a tool head solely for sizing brass. Use a standard resizer in station 1 and a u die in station 2. Size all your brass perfect. Then switch to your loading tool head and then powder, prime, seat bullet, and crimp. This is not nessasary but would be better and faster than what your were talking about with a single stage and a u die.

11. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

lol fine, want to come over and help me set it up? i'll buy you some coors light. :naughty:

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

actually i quit drinking.

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:eek3:

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

true story. been 5 weeks

15. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

wat why

16. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Why not nine? Cheaper and easier to find.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Just over it. Going to try something new.

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

illegal drugs?

19. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

That's what I was thinking about originally but if I end up shooting in matches power factor might be a concern.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Sober and healthy

21. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

for what it's worth, I love my CZ 9mm, i'm past 1300 rounds wwb without a single issue besides it being too awesome. :wiggle:

22. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

23. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

beer is better than water to consume after a workout...