GUN 9mm or .40 S&W ammo?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yeemix, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

Hello everyone, I was just pondering about ammo, and wanted to see OT’s opinion on the subject. Which ammo would you choose based on these criteria.

Usage – Just recreational shooting and home defense, I’m not planning on CCW since I’m in California. Also, capacity will be limited to 10 rounds, so capacity is not an issue.

Price – I know the 9mm ammo is cheaper, but is it that much of a difference when compared to the .40? I have limited shooting experience, but from the times I have gone to the range, it was a couple of bucks more per box at most for the .40 ammo. Plus, when it comes to top loads, how much difference in price are the two?

Comfort – I have shot both the G19 and G23, both felt good to me. Again, I’m not the most experienced shooter, but I found both to be comfortable, the recoil of the 23 was not a huge difference when compared to the 19, but I will be getting a Hogue grip with either one.

I'm leaning towards the G23 at the moment because I simply like the G23 more, but price is an important factor. I'll probably get a cheap little .22 to practice aiming later in life, so this gun will be my main option for now.

Cliffs: Which ammo, 9mm or .40, based on price mostly, both for range ammo and the top load home defense.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

3. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The most powerful round in the world does nothing if you can't place it accurately. Get a 9mm and practice more often. Later in life when you have more spare money and are a better shot to start with you can get something bigger if you want. The difference between 9mm and .40 is quite small to me though anyway.

5. Gimik

Gimik New Member

The cops here use .40 :dunno:

6. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

That's what I've been finding out, placement is everything. And a 9mm to the head will kill just as well as a .40 in the same place. But, if I were in a life/death situation, hitting a guy in chest .40 should do more damage than a 9mm, right? Just based on physical size, the extra 1mm would surely help my sitation. But at the moment, I can't seem to justify the extra price for a .40, when I can buy cheap ammo for the range, and stock some Hydrashok for home. So unless I find otherwise, I'll be getting a G19 in about 2 hours.

7. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I would chose which one ever fits in my gun :dunno:

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Go with 9mm, and use the saved money to hire a good lawyer if you ever have to use it for self defense.

If you can't justify the extra cost for the ammo then just get the 9mm.

9. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

For range use, 9mm wins because of the price. And there are 9mm rounds that are suitable for home defense.,

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well I always tell anyone wanting to learn about handgun wounding to start here http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm Its a short read and full of information thats presented in an easy to understand fashion. From there you can go do your research on the rounds. Some 9mm rounds will outexpand and out penetrate some .40 rounds. Some won't. When they don't the difference is usually quite marginal. I think extra practice and lower recoil for follow up shots will make more of a difference, but thats just my opinion :big grin:

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Ya cops know all! :)

9mm

12. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I think thats the best comment I will ever see on the INternet.
    Its extremely true

13. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I use 40 s&w, that's my personal preference, but based on the criteria you have 9mm should fit your bill fine

14. Accord

Accord New Member

bigger hole ftw.

And plus, the 229 isn't made in .45 ACP and I don't like the 220.

15. sebeck

sebeck New Member

.40 in a Sig 229 here. I like it alot.