GUN 9mm barrel for the CZ52, +p usage?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by turbodan, Apr 16, 2010.

1. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

If I were to carry the pistol in the 9mm configuration, I would like to use +p ammunition. The factory 7.62x25 barrel safely handles in excess of 9mm +p pressures, but the 9mm barrel is obviously thinner from where the bottleneck would be all the way through the muzzle.

It seems like the thinnest area for either barrel is still going to be the milled portion on the bottom of the chamber where the roller locks hang out, so I'd think if the x25 can handle it the 9mm +p should be okay too.

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

It this supposed to be a question, statement, or a no gym for home?

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I have a Cz-52 with the 9mm conversion.

I'm no expert, but I haven't seen anything that says they're rated for +p...

Also, if you're planning on carrying it, why not just get some wolf-gold hollow points in 7.62x25Tok instead? reliable and much more powerful. My 9mm conversion barrel has been less than reliable.

Also, there are WAY better carry guns out there than the CZ52. I'd even take a Sigma over a CZ52 for the reliablity factor, if that's saying anything.

4. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

I've got some wolf JHPs, but you can only expect so much expansion from the .30 hollowpoint. They seem to expand to about .45" in ballistic gelatin, whereas 9mm HPs are good for ~.61". The energy is similar either way, with some of the 9mm +p loads on the high end. I'm sure they're not rated for +p, but the 9mm operates at a significantly lower pressure than the original round. I was hoping someone had already tried it.

Its been a very reliable pistol for me in 7.62x25. After several thousand rounds the only stoppages I've experienced were due to crappy surplus ammo. It never fails to feed or eject.

5. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

I didn't ask if you guys thought it was a good "carry gun", I just wondered it anyone had any experience with the 9mm barrels and +p. I have no reservations carrying the gun bone stock with Wolf hollowpoints and as soon as I've had enough 9mm through it to know it works reliably I'll carry it that way too.

I dont know why it gets a bad rep. People love to tell me how shitty it is, as if I dont own one and haven't put thousands of rounds through it. I'm sure they're not all in such good condition being 60 years old, but the design is quite sound.