GUN 9mm AR15 SBR question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rip The Jacker, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

If I were to get a 16" RRA 9mm upper, what would I need besides the shorter barrel to convert it to 5 or 7"?

I'm thinking of going this route just because RRA SBR uppers are never going to come out :sad2:

Also, which length would you guys go with? I'm going to eventually use a suppressor with it in the future, but I think a 5 or 7 inch barrel would look wierd without a can:o

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would go with a 10.5" for more muzzle velocity.

3. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

5" barrel. 7" handguard. Suppressor. Recipe for win.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You're not going to see a huge increase in velocity in 9mm with a longer barrel length. I say get 5" or 7", it will be nice and short and won't be too long with a can.

[​IMG]

5. Rip The Jacker

I'm not familiar with silencers, am I going to damage it by shooting regular 9mm, or should I stick to subsonic? I want this rifle to stay somewhat practical.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can shoot whatever 9mm you want through a good suppressor, supersonic rounds will have a sonic crack and will be a bit louder. 147gr rounds should stay subsonic. 9mm ARs are good platform to suppress, especially with a full length rifle suppressor.

7. Rip The Jacker

ah so its not something that i could use on a 9mm handgun? got any good links where i can read about this? also what brands should i be looking at?

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Well, a rifle suppressor is going to be longer and heavier. You could use it on a handgun but it would be akward and heavy. If you want to use it on both, I'd just get a normal 9mm can. I would reccomend one with an interchangeable piston so you can shoot it on Glocks and other handguns which the barrel is not fixed, and then you'd be able to take out the piston when you shoot it on rifles, or handguns that have a fixed barrel.

www.silencertalk.com is a good site.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

On the converse, if running with a can is your perogative you could go with an ultra short barrel so that bulk ammo (read, WWB) would be subsonic. Looking at that graph, maybe around 4" or so would work....

10. Rip The Jacker

This is going to take a bunch of research as far as these mounting systems go. I thought you just screwed it on :o

How does the legal transfer of these go, they ship to my FFL and then I do the paperwork?

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can get them so they just screw on. The 3-lug adapters are cool, they go on a lot faster.

Your best bet is to find an 07FFL and have them order you what you want or pick something from what they have in stock. They will probably charge between $50-$100 for the transfer. A good one will do the paperwork for you, or at least help you out.

12. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I'd get a 9.25" tros 3 lug barrel.