GUN 9mm: 115gr FMJ / 147gr HP

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by antiabercrombie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

If you shoot hundreds of 115gr at the target range, how much different will it be to shoot 147gr?

I am using Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ for target practice, but am looking to get some Winchester Ranger 147gr HP ammo for defense. Due to the steeper cost of the Ranger ammo, I wouldn't shoot it at the range as much, so I am concerned that I wont be as accustomed to the way the heavier weight performs.

I can get the Winchester White Box FMJ in 147gr...would that be a better idea so it will perform to the same weight in HP?

Or is the difference between the 2 weights negligible?

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

in any kind of home defense situation i'd say the difference would be insignificant. at closer ranges i don't notice a difference between WWB 115gr and 147gr GDHP

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Definitely going to shoot different, drastically. Even between the 147 WWB and the Ranger could also be different depending on powder load, but would be closer in comparison than the 115's.

the 115's will be snappier, and the 147's a lot softer shooting.

You have to pay to play, I say definitely shoot what you plan to carry if that is important "to you", which to me it is.

4. antiabercrombie

So, if I am going to go with a 147gr HP defense round, it would probably be a good idea to get some 147gr FMJ target ammo?

5. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

You are correct.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah at least. Again, if that's important to you, meaning, can "you" tell the difference in your loads and adjust accordingly?

I play around with ammo and springs quite a bit so I can tell the difference. Some people it's all just recoil. Makes a difference to me in how my sights track and my double taps will be different, etc.

I would suggest at least putting 100 rounds of Defensive Ammo down your gun before you plan to carry it. You need to know it will work in your gun, feed and function the slide properly, etc.

Actually draw the gun hot and shoot it, you may be surprised.

7. antiabercrombie

That's what I'm going to do once I order some. I've put several hundred rounds of 115gr FMJ target ammo down the range...now I just have to decide what defense ammo to try out.

What about 115gr in a HP for defense? From what I've read, most people seem to go with 124-147gr for defense. Is there something wrong with 115gr for defense?

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

There will definitely be some difference... but I'm not sure it will make that much difference in a defense situation... I find myself to be equally as accurate with the cheap WWB I use as range ammo vs. the Speer Gold Dot I load for defense purposes... There is definitely a difference in how the recoil feels, but not so much so that it would prevent me from using "range ammo" 95% of the time at the range...

IMHO, you will be better off shooting something that you can actually afford to shoot frequently and put a lot of lead down range... than you will be to only shoot the expensive stuff and rarely be able to afford to practice.

9. antiabercrombie

What grain? And I assume you use 115gr for practice ammo.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There's no substitute for trying them both and seeing what you think. There is a noticeable difference in feeling between my 147gr rangers and my 115gr practice loads but it isn't enough to bother me. Ymmv.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's why I said "if it's important to you".

In that time of "fight or flight" / "stress" you will always resort to your training (hopefully) and you will "fight like you trained".

If you don't train, who gives a shit. Gun will recoil. either case.

But in the end, training will trump ammo. If you can put holes in your intended target is all that matters.

It's hard to put a price on preparedness.

12. Ant

Ant Serious Business.

I don't notice massive difference between 115 124 +p, and 147...I mean...there is some difference, but the shots generally land in the same places. I'd shoot a few boxes to know what it feels like, but I don't see a problem with plinking with some 115

13. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

124 grain I believe on my HD rounds...

Also, I am not saying anyone else who feels differently is wrong... FOR ME... The difference between standard 9mm range ammo and 9mm +p defense ammo isn't worth me spending 500% more money at the shooting range... To me, the recoil of a 9mm is pretty negligible no matter what you are shooting...

I actually shoot several hundred rounds through my 22lr pistol when I'm at the range... Even though the recoil is nothing like my 9mm, it still seems to help me be a more accurate shot with the larger gun(s)...

14. antiabercrombie

What about 115gr in a HP for defense?

15. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm kind of beside myself at the moment re: CCW'ing because of this. I'm accurate with 115gr WWB but when I shot 124gr +P Gold Dots, all my shots went left. Enough to make me wonder if I should be carrying.

Now I'm faced with three choices...shoot a LOT of expensive ammo, buy a reloading press and make cheap 124gr +P practice ammo, or stop carrying. :(

16. antiabercrombie

That's why I was wondering about 115gr HP for defense since it's the same weight as my practice rounds. They make Gold Dots that are 115gr HP, and I might get those to try out for defense.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Their light weight usually keeps them from making the grade performance wise. The barnes copper bullets are the only ones I know that meet fbi minimum performance requirements.

18. antiabercrombie

Is it because they're too fast and they could come out the other side?

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Quite the opposite, they lack the mass to penetrate sufficiently deep.

20. antiabercrombie

So, stick with something 124gr or heavier in a HP?

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Refer to the chart I posted previously for rounds that test well.

22. antiabercrombie

Well, guess I'll just try some out and go from there.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

To me it makes a lot of difference. While the felt recoil and the way the gun tracks in recoil is going to be different, the point of impact is also going to be different. I would say if you sighted in your pistol at 25 yards with WWB 115's and you then shot 147 rangers at the same distance I estimate you would be 5" low.

Now some people will say self defense shooting are all under 10 yards or whatever. I still believe you need to plan and train for longer shots, and precision shots. You plan for the worst and hopefully you won't need to make a 25+ yard shot, or a precision head shot around a hostage. First part of being able to do this if ever nessasary is to know what your gun and ammo does.

Most people are going to go with WWB 115's because they are less expensive and easy to find. This being the case I would recommend you try to find defense ammo to match. The 115 speer gold dots also do 1190 fps in a 4.5" barrel similar to the wwb 115's. Of course you have to verify in your own gun but this sounds like a good pair to me.

24. striker754

striker754 Chillin

:rofl:a 25 yard shot in a self defense situation :rofl:

25. antiabercrombie

Even considering:

:dunno:

I hope I never have to do that. :hs: