99 Eclipse GSX

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ProjectGSX, Oct 19, 2001.

1. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mods:
    Forced Performance Big 28 Turbocharger
    Ported 2G o2 housing
    Webcams 272/256 camshafts
    1G Cam Angle Sensor
    3" RS*R Downpipe, cat-back, 3" cat
    K&N Air filter
    Buschur Racing Upper Intercooler Pipe
    TurboXS Type-H Racing Bypass Valve
    TurboXS High Performance Manual Boost Controller
    GReddy Front Mount Intercooler
    Denso 550cc Injectors
    Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
    OBX Front/Rear Strut Tower Braces
    RRE Lower Stress Bar
    KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks (front)
    Tokico Illumina Adjustable Shocks (Rear)
    Eibach Pro-kit springs
    RM Racing rear sway bar
    RRE Lightened stock flywheel
    ACT 2600 pressure plate
    ACT street disc
    RRE stainless steel clutch line
    Energy Suspension motor mount inserts
    AEM Big Brake rotors
    TSW VX1 rims (18x8)
    Kumho Ecsta 712's (225/40/18)
    Carbon Fiber hood

Gauges/Interior:
    Apex AFC
    60mm GReddy EGT Gauge w/ Peak Hold
    60mm GReddy Boost Gauge
    52mm GReddy Oil Temp Gauge
    52mm GReddy Water Temp Gauge
    Jumptronix digital o2 display
    GReddy Turbo Timer
    B&M Short shifter
    Extreme Motorsports Stiff Shift bracket
    Symborski Shifter bushings
    Panasonic CQ-DF88 CD Receiver
    Panasonic 10 disc CD changer
    Power Logic 250 watt amp
    Alpine 20x2 amp
    Pioneer 10" sub, Q-Logic enclosure

2. Guest

Guest Guest

very nice car.

not a big fan of eclipses but that looks nice and im sure drives better :)

3. Soltaker

Soltaker 03-18-2015 #NEVERFORGET

badass :bigthumb:

got times?

4. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Ran a [email protected] back in Cali on 92 octane with a catalytic converter. I was supposed to go to the track tonight, but the traffic was so bad I couldn't make it in time.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The Eclipse is looking pretty sweet bro. I bet you spank cars on the streets. What are the furture plans?

6. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Overall goal is 12.5 on pump gas. Funny thing is, I am only a few parts away.

I have a 1G head that is waiting to go on, webcams, a sheet metal intake manifold .. and then I just need to get the new turbo. Marco over at Magnus Motorsports is supposed to build the turbo for me.. TD06 comp housing, Garret 50 trim wheel, 7cm2 exhaust housing TD06H exhaust wheel.

7. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

I don't run race gas, like most DSM'ers do.

8. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

That's cool, I never claimed to be the best driver in the world.

However, running 12's with 98MPH trap speeds would be nearly impossible. And we all know that a bad driver will get bad ET's, the trap speed reflects the power output of the car. So even if I am a bad driver, the car is just not capable of 12's on pump gas.

Thanks for the encouragement, though.

9. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

easy man ;)

but I agree...thats WAY slow!!

who tuned your AFC?? Maybe youre running rich :dunno:
    Low 13's should be an easy thought. high 12's MAYBE and thats a big MAYBE!

10. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

but 98mph trap speeds do show something wrong with your car. Theres SOMETHING not right here.

AFC? compression? boost? SOMETHING is wrong

11. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

AFC is fine.. I have datalogged the car multiple times. I get 18-20 degrees of advance at the top of 3rd gear. o2's are steady at .92.

Compression could be off - I have not checked it in a long time.

Otherwise, something is limiting air flow. At 20psi, I only register 1900hz max at the MAF. (unmolested MAF) Generally I don't clear 1800hz.

I doubt it is a boost leak. If it was, I would see higher numbers at the MAF. Even if the air is leaking out, it would still have to come through the MAF before exiting the system.

Could be a problem with the turbo itself. I have not checked for shaft play or anything like that.

Part of the problem is, no one runs fast on this turbo. The fastest person I know of ran a 13.1 on 117 leaded with an open downpipe. I ran the 13.7 on 92 with a full exhaust and a catalytic converter.

Either way.. I should have a new turbo in the next few weeks. Im getting it from someone local, with an almost identical car. So, if I still run slow, I know there is a problem to be found. If I run as expected, then I know there was a problem with the turbo.

12. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

Brian, I'm sure its the IHI turbo. I haven't seen anyone running quick on that turbo either. Despite being labeled the 16G "killer" , most poeple with ported/clipped 16g's run higher trap speeds than people on that IHI turbo have run. I don't really know why. I remember back when turbo mag. dynoed a car with a 16g and 16g "killer" that the killer did dyno more, and it was pretty decent, around 260hp to the wheels or something along those lines, without a lot of other mods.

Why dont you try out the new turbo and the webcams. Then see how much that improves your trap speeds without the 1g head and new intake manifold.

oh BTW, does the stock return tube fit perfectly with the turboXS BOV? It looks like you're running the stock return tube, so I was wondering if you had to cut it down at all or if it kinked up anywhere.

Sweet car man

Nick

13. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Yeah, I hear you. I bought the turbo used, too.. so its possible the previous owner fucked it up. Plus, the tip from my EGT probe disappeared at some point. I need to check the exhaust wheel for damage from that.

It is hard to argue with dyno numbers though.

Originally posted by Red97GST
    Why dont you try out the new turbo and the webcams. Then see how much that improves your trap speeds without the 1g head and new intake manifold.[/quote]

I am going to do one better. I will run at the track with the IHI and then with the new turbo, and see the difference. I might do the cams first, but either way, I will hit the track with one turbo and then the other.

Originally posted by Red97GST
    oh BTW, does the stock return tube fit perfectly with the turboXS BOV? It looks like you're running the stock return tube, so I was wondering if you had to cut it down at all or if it kinked up anywhere. [/quote]

Depends which TurboXS valve you are talking about. The H-RBV and the R-RBV work with the stock dump tube. the H-BOV and H-RFL are designed to vent to atmosphere and cannot be plumbed back into the atmosphere. All 4 valves use the same piston based valve design and all kick ass. I have used all 4 on my car at one time or another. Right now I have the H-RFL on my car. It is designed to be their loudest valve. It was just released recently so I have been testing it out on my car for them. Nice valve!

14. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Just to follow up on the "what's wrong with your car" thread.

I did a compression check this weekend. 190-185-175-185. Compression is fine.

Had Loren do some tuning in my car. (He ran [email protected] in his 99GSX) He says the car is tuned "very well". He also checked the turbo - said it spools fine, has no radial shaft play, and acceptable thrust play. Possibly the turbine wheel is munched, but we won't know until the turbo comes off of the car.

Still possibly a boost leak, or the turbine wheel is munched. Otherwise it's just a crappy turbo, which was my original guess.

15. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Got the new turbo and cams installed. Big seat of the pants gain. At 17psi (which is what I ran with the old turbo) the AFC reports over 10% more airflow. Not bad. The new turbo is also more efficient, so I can run more boost as well. Looks like I can get away with 21.3psi on pump gas, so far. Still have more tuning to do, though. Should be able to hit the track early next year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

I recently trimmed the bumper for additional airflow, here are updated pics of the front end:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

That looks much cleaner. Have you run it again?

18. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

Brian do u know anyone with a FWD that's running a Big28? I'm wondering how bad wheelspin is because of the quick spoolup. I really like what I hear about the Big28 but maybe for a FWD a clipped Big 16G would still be better for the increased lag

19. eMango160

eMango160 Guest

looks fast :eek:

20. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

I am going to RCR tonight after work. I'll post results on Monday.

Brian Wilson from FP has one on his FWD. There is someone with the screen name Big28GST on DSMTalk I believe.. if you go to the parts review section, there is a huge thread about the big 28 there.

21. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

Here are my timeslips from RCR a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last night, I installed a new 2.5" tubular o2 housing with external dump that a buddy of mine made for me. Good seat of the pants increase in power. He is DEFINITELY an amateur when it comes to welding, so try not to laugh too hard. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like he cut and re-welded the o2 bung because he didn't like the placement the first time. Oh well, you can't see that when it's on the car. The external dump is crazy loud.

I just found out that when an exhaust shop worked on my car about a year ago, they replaced the 2.5" flange on my downpipe with a 2.25" flange. That might be one of the things that is slowing the car down. I will get that fixed and hit the track again soon.

22. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Unf! :eek:
    What were your runs against?

23. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

If I remember correctly....

The first run was against an Accord or some slow ass POS.

Second run was against my friends GSX.

Third run was against a trailored old-school muscle car.

Fourth run was against a Civic.

24. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

hmm... Red x's... What are the times again?

25. ProjectGSX

ProjectGSX Guest

I fixed the links (website moved) but the images aren't uploaded on the new server. Ill put them up tonight.

My 4 runs, though, were:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]