99-00 BMW 3 series' overall

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 02CivicsiR, Oct 7, 2003.

1. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Hey guys,

Can all owners or people who know much about these cars tell me about them. Speak of issues like reliability, quickness, comfort, design, expense of repairs, shitty cup holders or other small things that bugged you or you really liked. Preferably, the 323 or 328 in a 5-speed. Thanks guys! :wavey:

2. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

The E46 3 Series (99+) were designed using CAD (Computer Assisted Design) and are much better put together than the previous models. I've riden in many and drove many 3 series.

Very well put together, comfort is questionable depending on the package you get (comfort/stock or sport package). Design is great looking IMO but to each their own.

These cars come w/ a 3 year/36,000 mile maintenance warranty which means all your oil changes, maintenance schedule times are all covered. Repairs aren't too bad as most people thing. You will most likely never have a huge problem w/ these cars. For example, a new clutch from a dealer will cost you around $650-$700 installed.

As for the cup holders....errr...well, lets just say that the boys in Bavaria can make awesome cars, but for some reason their cup-holder division is run by monkeys because I've yet to see ANY BMW w/ nice cup-holders.

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

cup-holder division :rofl:

4. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

i donno... i didnt find the holders in the 325 that bad...

5. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

its probably better than the retarded cup holder in my audi

6. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

$650-700 seems like alot for a new clutch

7. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

Thats at a dealership. I was quoted $450-$600 by an independant shop for my M3 if I remember correctly. However, I personally enjoy getting a loaner at the dealership when I take my car in so I pay a little extra for that benefit.

8. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Very true. Nowhere is this more apparent than on high-mileage examples, where the E30 and E36 fit-and-finish starts to degrade, and trim pieces start falling off, entire door assemblies start coming undone, etc. - with nothing of the sort happening on any of the E46s that I have seen.

9. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Actually, the E46 cupholders are pretty good. The only problem is an empty plastic bottle will pop out when it is empty. :ugh:

10. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Since you will be looking at used cars, most of the known problems should actually have already come up for previous owners, and hopefully been repaired.

Have a BMW shop check it out, make sure the differential isn't ripped out, etc..

Preferably, get one that has been well maintained, with more frequent oil changes than recommened...

11. curiousgeorgeM3

:rofl: true

12. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

yeah, my 99 a4 has the one that pulls out above the radio console... right infront of the air blowers... hot drink? its cold within 5 minutes... cold drink? its car-temp within the same, and all the ice melts :wtc:

13. curiousgeorgeM3

Hmm...never thought about it like that. I always thought my friend's in his A6 were pimp how they retract in and out, but I guess they are in the same place as yours.

14. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Aside from regular oil changes and some minor other required maintenance, what would everyone her say is safe to set aside per year for repair work/damages. This should not include accidents, just mechanical work. Again, this is for a 99-00 3 series.

15. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

My dad has a 00 323i and it is a wonderful car, except the engine is definately too weak. It feels fast, but the combo of the auto with the smaller engine just doesn't equate to a very fast ride. But oh God, with those smoooooooooth engines you just gotta rev 'em. He has had taken his car into the dealer only twice for warranty work, and they were minor things at best. He now has 80k I think and it is still going strong. Very nice car.

And FWIW, Audi's cupholders suck and they are small. :rant2: stupid.....audi....cupholders...damn....stupid...

16. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Costs aside from regular maintainance?

17. zlatic

zlatic New Member

germans arent like fat americans, they arent into drinking when driving, they are into spped and greatness. not food and cholesterol

18. Omied2k

Omied2k Guest

Not to highjack your thread or anything, but just fyi, i'm selling a 00 323ci if you want to buy, still under warranty too btw :)