98 Tacoma problems/questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PC Principle, Jan 20, 2010.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

When I start it up in the morning I hear a squeal that shortens in length over time and goes away after about 3 minutes. Any idea what this could be? I checked the belt.

Also I have been noticing an occasional clutch smell sometimes. It smells like a burning clutch but the clutch seems to still be working ok. Is it going out or could it be something else?

It is a 98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l with manual transmission. It has about 150k miles on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

spray a few quick shots of wd-40 on the belt as the engine is running.

see if noise goes away.

learn how to drive your clutch

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

So the clutch smell is not a sign of it going bad? I have not driven it any different lately and I never experienced the smell before.

4. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

could be. do you feel it slipping?

try it in 4-5th gear

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Noise is definitely a belt.

As for the clutch, put your truck in 4th gear and hit the gas at a very low speed. If it stalls, its fine. If it just revs, you need a clutch.

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Thanks for the replies. I did the clutch tests and I am pretty certain it is not slipping. Could it be brake pad that I smell? I just replaced the pads and rotors about 1.5 years ago but they are starting to feel slightly warped again. :sad2:

7. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

That will work.

probibly not.

8. vgeek

vgeek New Member

You can tension the belt at the alternator, that should stop the squeaking. I had the same problem, but it only lasted for 5-10 seconds and stopped.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

10. CUCUY

CUCUY OT Supporter

the squealing can also be the throwout bearing on your clutch assembly. it will usually chatter for a few minutes until the bearing warms up then it goes away.

it will gernade on you if you don't change it out. ask me how i know this, i had a 96 tacoma with the same exact symptoms. i ignored it and it lasted for a few months until the bearing went out and took the input shaft with it. clutch and pressure plaste still looked good but the bearing was trash (had about 165k on the clock)

11. James Deanely

James Deanely Active Member

Sure way for me to get a clutch smell is when in reverse backing up a steep hill (or basically under any stress when reversing). Happened each and everytime even when the clutch was new. It got so bad the clutch pedal would sink to the floor. But after it cools off it drives like new again - no smell.