98-00 4runner good to tow 23' boat?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by krott5333, Jun 24, 2004.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

they have a 3.4 L v6 with 180 something hp and 214 ft lbs of torque. Good to pull a 20-25 footer with?

2. 5.10-Crux

5.10-Crux New Member

Throw a TRD Toyota made supercharger on it and you'll have no problems.

3. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

Even with a supercharger, it lacks the suspension for towing a boat that size safely.

A friend of mine tows an 18 foot open bow boat with his 4Runner and it does OK. I wouldn't want to tow anything much bigger for any distance, up inclines, or make quick manuvers with it.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

so what should I get? How about a tahoe?

5. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

Depending on what kind of 20-25 boat you are talking about, a Tahoe should be fine.

Do you already have the boat? Or what kind of boat are you looking to purchase? Cruiser/closed bow with cabin, etc, sailboat, open bow ski boat, perfomance powerboat/offshore, open fisher, bass boat????

The weights vary greatly depending on the type of boat.

Past experience of my own-
    I had a 25' Baja that weighed 4750lbs. dry, (not on trailer, no fuel, no gear), and towed it with a fullsize Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab truck with the biggest motor available at the time, (5.9L). Loaded down with fuel, gear, and the weight of the trailer put it up to 7400+/- lbs. It towed the boat OK, but it was a heavy load for the truck. This was most evident on long hauls with inclines. I took a few 350 mile+ one-way raod trips towing that boat and had wished I would have opted for the 2500 Ram diesel for a major savings in fuel and wear.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

im looking at like a cruiser / pleasure boat, something with a small cabin (the kind that is too small to stand in). I dont have the boat yet, planning on buying next spring.

7. ridedirt

ridedirt OT Supporter

i would look into proably a 3/4 ton pickup, tho a half would work i guess. its not really the motor that matters but more the supspension and brakes. i would think the trailer must have brakes too.

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I would look into something heavy duty. If its a truck a 3/4 ton would be better. Something like a Suburban would probably be btter if its an SUV.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

2500 suburban would be good?

10. procupine14

procupine14 Guest

OH yea it'll tow it but try stopping it OH SHIT!!!
    (with the toyota) Thst the main problem with small trucks is stopping quick with a trailer

although how heavy is this boat we're talking about here

I go camping with a 26' fifth wheel and i used to have a 3/4 ton truck and tried to stop at a light and got pushed on through because of the weight

although with a boat a 3/4 ton would be plenty i now have a 2004 1 ton chevy so bigger is usually a safer way to go rather than a smaller truck at its maximum capacity

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2004