97 Mustang Gt vs 97 Trans Am

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Omega6_Virus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Which is the "better" car overall stock for stock? I need something fast and both meet this, but I also need something that handles well. I was just wondering if anyone had any imput on either car. I would do modifications to either car, but all the money would go to power gains and possibly suspension changes later.

2. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

The TA. High 13s/low [email protected] stock, better handling, better looks.

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

the heads and intake on the 96-98 mustangs = poop

4. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

:werd:

It would do a lot better with some PI heads, intake and cam. Port them before they go on the car, too.

5. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

After looking some more, there are a FEW LS1 f-body's that are cheap but have higher mileage, and then there are the 95,96 LT1's that have low miles but are the same price. Which way should I go?

6. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Just don't go with a '93 or '94 without knowing that you will probably want to upgrade the optispark to the '95+ vented unit. Aside from that, the LT1 cars were largely unchanged through the years. I had a '95 Z28 hardtop, and when I sold it (@ 45,000 miles or so), it was still rattle free, and pulled like a beast on the low end. Fun cars.

If you do find a 93-94 model, here's a guide for you - eventually you'll need it :)
    http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

Have you tried hitting the big sites (LS1.com, LS1tech.com, whatever the local F-Body chapter is in your area's web site, etc.) to see what's selling?
    They are good because you can go back and search for post's by the seller - usually clueing you into any problems he's had with the car and whether or not it's been beat on.

Here's a breakdown of changes for the Camaro's:

1994 Chevrolet Camaro: A convertible arrived late in '94, with a glass back window and power top. The Z28's 6-speed gearbox added Computer-Aided Gear Selection, which forces a first-to-fourth gear shift when accelerating from a stop under light throttle.

1995 Chevrolet Camaro: Traction control finally became optional at midseason, but only for Z28 Camaros. It can be switched off, if desired. Later in the model year, a 3.8-liter V6 became optional in base Camaros.

1996 Chevrolet Camaro: The 3.8-liter V6 engine, introduced as an option during 1995, became standard in base Camaros. The Z28's 5.7-liter V8 gained 10 horsepower. A new RS package added lower-body aero trim and a 3-piece spoiler to base coupes and convertibles. Moving further into performance, an "SS" (Super Sport) option became available for the Z28. Produced by an outside firm, SLP Engineering, the SS package includes wider wheels and tires, styling and suspension modifications, and a functional hood scoop. Engine horsepower rose to 305 on the SS.

1997 Chevrolet Camaro: Redesigned dashboards, daytime running lights, and revised taillamps were added to all 1997 Camaros. Accompanying the new standard dash is a revised center console with more storage space.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro: Camaro gets a restyled nose courtesy of a fresh fascia, composite headlamps, and a restyled hood and fenders. Underhood, the Z28 gets a version of the Corvette's aluminum V8 with 305 horsepower, 20 more than last year. SS models get a power boost to 320 horsepower.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro: Traction control was a new option on base models and the fuel tank grew from 15.5 gallons to 16.8.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro: Facing ever-declining sales, Chevrolet's "ponycar" saw little change for 2000. All models now had steering-wheel audio controls. Engines were retuned to Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) standards, for states that required it. Z28 coupes switched from black to body-color door mirrors. Wheels were redesigned for both the SS option and the Performance and Handling package available on other Camaros.

2001 Chevrolet Camaro: The Z28-based SS package returned for 2001 with high-power V8, functional hood scoop, larger tires, new rear spoiler, and upgraded suspension. V8s gained 5 horsepower and all models got retuned shock absorbers. 2002 Chevrolet Camaro: Camaro was retired after the 2002 model year. For its final season, Chevrolet's rear-wheel-drive sports coupe offered a 35th Anniversary Package for the SS version. The package included red paint, dual silver stripes, and special wheels and trim. Newly standard were a CD player and automatic transmission for V6 versions. Pontiac's Firebird shared Camaro's design and also retired after the 2002 model year.

And one for the Firebird's:

1994 Pontiac Firebird: A top-line Trans Am GT arrived for '94. This year, as a fuel-economy measure, the 6-speed manual gearbox added a system that forced the gearshift to go from first gear directly into fourth under light-throttle acceleration. Later in the 1994 model year, a convertible debuted with a standard power top and a glass rear window. Convertibles came in all three levels: base, Formula, and Trans Am.

1995 Pontiac Firebird: After the model year began, a traction-control system became available for Firebirds with the V8 engine. The line-topping Trans Am GT was dropped after a single season on the market. Late in 1995, Pontiac added a 3.8-liter V6 engine option, making 200 horsepower rather than 160.

1996 Pontiac Firebird: After a brief period as an option, the new 200-horsepower, 3.8-liter V6 displaced the 3.4-liter as Firebird's base engine. At the same time, the Formula Firebird's V8 engine got a boost to 285 horsepower. A "Ram Air" option hiked the V8 to 305 horses. A new 3800 Performance Package gave V6 models some of the Formula and Trans Am features, including 4-wheel disc brakes, a limited-slip differential, dual exhaust outlets, 16-inch tires, and quicker steering.

1997 Pontiac Firebird: Daytime running lights and air conditioning became standard in all Firebirds. The optional Ram Air package could now be installed on convertibles as well as coupes. A new center console offered more storage, a pull-out cupholder, and two auxiliary power outlets.

1998 Pontiac Firebird: Firebirds got a modest facelift and a new V8 engine for '98. Despite again displacing 5.7-liters, the V8 was all new and made 305 horsepower. When equipped with the Ram Air option, engine output was boosted to 320.

1999 Pontiac Firebird: Firebird's changes for '99 included larger fuel tanks (rom 15.5 to 16.8 gallons), available traction control for V6 models, and a limited-edition 30th Anniversary package for coupes and convertibles.

2000 Pontiac Firebird: Despite rumors of possible extinction, Firebird continued into 2000 with fresh colors, new rear child-seat anchors, and newly designed 17-inch wheels for the WS6 package.

2001 Pontiac Firebird: Firebirds entered the 2001 model year with stronger engines and minor suspension revisions. The 5.7-liter V8 gained 5 horsepower and all models got revised shock absorbers. The WS6 Ram Air was no longer available on Formula, but increased Trans Am's horsepower by 15.

2002 Pontiac Firebird: Pontiac's sporty coupe would be retired after the 2002 model year. For its last year, power windows, locks, mirrors, and antenna were standard. Offered earlier in the year was a commemorative Collector package based on the Trans Am; it included WS6 equipment, yellow paint with black accents, and special wheels and trim.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2004
  7. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Do you think the lack of sqeeks was due to reduced/no body flex from being a hard-top? There are a lot of t-tops in my area and I would prefer one. I have found a black 97 Lt1 that looks awesome and has 69k miles. This might be the winner.

I've ran into a small, 3.8 v6 turbocharged problem though. There is a GN for sale near-by. Now, I need help choosing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  8. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

GN. I wish i would have found a good condition, low (100kish) miles GN for a decent price when i bought my 94 6 speed Formula a week ago :(

9. kdsvs

kdsvs Guest

In your original post you said you wanted it to handle decent.....that throws the GN out.
    If you can get a LS1 do it....it will walk the dog (stock) with anything short of a pretty heavy bolt-on LT1.

10. Fabian

Fabian Guest

The TA is the better overall car. Im not a GM Nazi, Im just saying. You'll be glad you got it when the first 97ish Stang rolls up next to ya :)

11. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

12. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

The Mustang sucks dogpoop,

Get the TA, you will be happy,

try to find one with as low a miles as possible, or as low a miles on it as you can afford,

13. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

the 96-98 mustang gt's are turds, I am sure you could get a really good deal on one. With all the bolt on's and spraying the car you'd be lucky to see a high thirteen!

14. Los

Los Active Member

PI head swap with gears, you'll do solid 13s.

:bigthumb:

15. Stupify

Stupify OT Supporter

I had a 97 GT slow as balls.. Car didn't hold its value for crap. If you were to get one you need to get new heads, intake like right when you get it. I'd get the LT1.

16. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Someone offered me a 97 TA with 27K miles on it for 5 grand today....too bad i just bought another car...