'96 Mystic Cobra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyeLou, Oct 28, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm considering buying one. The current owner is a friend of a friend. I have met her a few times now actually, and got to test drive her car today. It runs very strong. Only 22k miles on it. Only mod is 3-chamber flowmasters. I was happy with their sound. I don't want something too overpowering or obnoxiously loud. She actually asked my friend to sell it because she has no time with work. She told him to ask for $16,000 and don't negotiate below $15,000. Those prices seem really high. My friend said I could get it for probably $14,000, but that still seems a bit high. I realize the Mystic is somewhat of a 'collectors' edition, but none the less. Opinions?

2. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

They are a tad high, but then again, you're paying for a limited edition Cobra with low miles, so basically its a mustang plus money for being a cobra, plus money for being a collecters edition, plus money for being low low miles.

3. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

I owned a 97' rio red cobra and absolutely loved it! My neighbor has a mystic that is purely used for sunday drives and shows. IMO, the 96-98 cobras were the best looking models Ford ever made. If the car is mint then go for it, but just remember that the mystic paint is very hard to get a hold of so if the car has any scratches that require touch up paint or repainting you might have a hard time finding a bodyshop that can handle the job. I'd do it just because the mileage is very low. Good luck with your decision.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

There is absolutly nothing wrong with the car right now. The lady is a saleswoman at a Ford dealership, so she bought it new and it basically sits in her garage except when she drives it in for oil changes. I seriously didn't notice one scratch today at all. I'm not worried about scratches though....its a car, and they're made to be driven, it'll happen.

5. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Sounds to me like it is a great car. I don't really know what it is worth in the market, but $15,000 sound pretty reasonable to me for a car that has major collector value if kept in good shape for the next decade or more.

6. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

Nice cars, but I think that price is way to high, Mystic Chrome or not.

For a standard Cobra with the same miles, KBB lists highest retail at $11,700, and highest Private Party value at $9700.

The Mystic is a pretty cool option, but unless your planning on keeping that car for a LONG time, that option isn't going to get you much of a premium.

I'd pay no more than $12k...probably not even that much

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Thats what I'm starting to think. Might be a bit much. And like I said before, I feel cars are made to be driven. I'm sure I'd end up with rock chips and a few minor things that I could overlook but would ultimatly decrease the value to someone else who cared about stuff like that. We'll see.

8. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

Mystic cars are very rare. For the amount of miles and condition the car is in she will get what she's asking.

9. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

10. DeVus32V

DeVus32V New Member

If there are 22k miles, she drove it a lot more than just oil changes. Someone will give her $16 for the car, but she might have to hang on to the car for awhile before she finds a buyer. Is this a buyer or a seller advantage? Meaning, is she trying to get out of the car so she can get a new one, or is she just selling it at her lesiure? I think $16 is too much for a 96-98 cobra. And like someone already mentioned, Mystic will be hard to maintain. It will show scratches as much as a black car would, but you are at a disadvantage with the harlequin paint if you need any touchups.

Personally, I'd find a red/black/white one and put the difference in cost towards wheels and tires, some gears, K&N, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, and Technically speaking.....in 1996, there were fewer white and red coupes then there were Mystics.

http://www.svt.ford.com/svtArchiveCompare.asp?vehicle_one=cobra96&vehicle_two=nothing&vehicle_three=nothing

Production Numbers: 1996 Cobra
    Cobra Coupe: Black 2124; White 1429; Laser Red 1940; Mystic 2000; TOTAL: 7493

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The driving just for oil changes was a bit of an exageration. It was just showing that 22k miles on a car from 1996, regarless of what the car may be, is extremely low. This just happens to be a very well maintained Cobra. I'm not concerned about saving money for wheels/tires as I work at a tire store and can get everything at cost. But that doesn't mean I plan to just blow my money. Shes selling this car just because she wants to. Shes certainly in no rush to sell it. She has, I believe, two other cars. She knows she won't get $16,000...but thats not what she wants either. She works at a Ford dealership....I"m sure she has the whole pricing thing already figured out.

12. DeVus32V

DeVus32V New Member

Just a little heads up....."friends" rarely ever get buddy deals through a dealership. In fact, random people off the street get treated better than friends and employees. I've worked at 2 ford dealers myself and the service department is just as bad as sales. And just becuase someone, male or female, is out there hustling cars to the public, doesn't mean they know shit about what they are selling. I had a salesmen tell me "Well, of course the cobra is faster than the GT. It has a bigger motor!" :squint: And one time at BMW I asked a guy if they had any 6-speed M's on the lot and he said "We really don't get a lot of those. Most of the newer BMW's are equipped with MSG." :mamoru:

Anyway, good luck with your search. Post up some picks when you get it.

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

She works at a dealership but is selling it herself. She just happened to have it at th dealership for the oil change that given day I test drove it. I've met her a few times now. I'll get the deal my friend says I could get, and I only know that for sure because its my friend who is selling it for the woman. (Her name is Andrea....I'll start using that because its easier). Wayne (my friend) is selling a car for Andrea just because she has no time. She doesn't need to sell it, so she doesn't have to take a lower price, but being that Wayne is selling it and she has already told him all of her price ideas....he says $14,000 would be a good bet and lower is a possibility. IF my current car ever sells, I don't know if I'll pick up this Mystic or look around a bit. I might take my car to the track tomorrow. It's a Contour SVT with a bunch of mods. Great car and I love it, but the aftermarket for it is very limited. It should be a high-mid 14's car now. Not bad for a 2.5L V6.

14. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

for that price make sure she gives you blowjobs for the rest of eternity.

15. Holes02

Holes02 New Member

You guys say the car isn't worth this price or that price, but the fact is, to the seller, the car is worth whatever amount someone is willing to pay for it. If you aren't willing to pay $15,000 for the car, I'm sure there are a lot of other Cobra enthusiasts that will (regardless of what KBB says).

If you like the car, you've got the available money; it's obviously been taken care of, and it's likely to be hard to find another car like it [ie. mystic paint job, low miles], then buy it, because in all seriousness, you will probably not find anything close to that in the "under $12k" ballpark.

16. DeVus32V

DeVus32V New Member

So, if the seller thinks the car is worth $75k because of the low miles and the ultra rare paint, is it still worth it??? What should determine the price of a car is what the car is going for on the street. KBB works as a general guide for pricing and can determine how much money you can borrow against a particular vehicle. The FACT is that "Price" and "Worth" are two very different things.

www.autotrader.com

'96 Red Coupe w/36k miles $11,988

'96 Red Vert 15k Miles $12,900

'96 Mystic With 39k Miles $12,020

17. Wickky

Wickky Guest

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: 99 up cobras:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

[​IMG]

18. Wickky

Wickky Guest

i just picked up my 99 cobra with 16,000 miles on it... again maticulously maintained like what this guy is saying about the 98 cobra.....

19. DeVus32V

DeVus32V New Member

Is the red car yours, or is the black car in your avatar yours? Is that a Mach 1 Chin Spoiler on the red one? I was looking to get a 99/01 nose and was wondering how well the Mach spoiler would fit.

20. Holes02

Holes02 New Member

I don't think you understood what I was saying.
    I'm not trying to say the car is worth whatever the seller DEEMS it to be worth simply because of rare options and such.
    I'm saying the car is worth whatever SOMEONE will pay for it.

Is a 1970 Chevelle BBC Conv't with and automatic transmission and A/C worth $50,000?
    To me, fuck no.
    To a collector, probably.

It seems you and I are actually in agreement on the statement...

21. Wickky

Wickky Guest

the black one is mine (old pic) i do have a chin spoiler on my black cobra and it doesnt fit perfectly but the cobra front looks plain without it but OMG cobra from front is so bad assssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

22. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

mmm... 01 Cobra bumpers with a Mach 1 spoiler

Comming to my GT soon...

23. Wickky

Wickky Guest

i wanna get the mach 1 hood for my cobra cause this would just like look so evil if it was ridding on ur ass

[​IMG]

24. DeVus32V

DeVus32V New Member

"OMG cobra from front is so bad assssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" "That's badass Tory. That's bad ass." :rofl: Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

So......what part doesn't fit right? Is it noticable?

25. Wickky

Wickky Guest

the corners a little but u have to get close to notice that it doesnt fit