96 altima head gasket

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fatmoocow, Feb 14, 2009.

1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

So my altima has at least a blown head gasket. I'm trying to suck every last mile out of it as I'm currently unemployed. How big a pita is it to do it myself? If I did it would it even be worth it? Got any links to how to's, couldn't find any?

At this point I have about a 10 mile radius I can drive before it overheats. Any other ideas to keep this thing up and running for as long as possible. I flushed the radiator. Note I've got almost 300k miles in it :hs:

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I had a 95 altima and the head gasket went at around 264k miles (beast of a car I tell you).

one shop quoted me $2k for it, had a friend recommend a mechanic and he fixed it at his house for $500, took about a week cause he did it after work in his spare time.

this was about 3 years ago. the car is still running with no issues... I don't own the car anymore, my aunt bought it and she still uses it as a daily driver.

your call on what you want to do.

3. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

i wouldnt do it yourself unless you knew what you were doing...

4. Anudist

Anudist Turnin' Jesus on, one lightswitch at a time.

Head gaskets really aren't THAT big of a pain in the ass, but it does require a certain knowledge of what TO do as well as what NOT to do. It will take a good portion of the day to do it start to finish for someone who has done it before.

At the very least, pick up an instruction manual from Checker/Schucks/Autozone/whatever and go over the steps in there. People on forums will have good information for you as well, typically.