95 Ford Ranger Problem

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sean Connery, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

The truck is a 95 ford ranger with a 5 speed tranny. When I left for work this morning, I started my truck to let it warm up. When I went to back out of the driveway, I put it in reverse but the truck wouldn't move. It would just rev up and feel like it wanted to move. No, the ebrake wasn't on. I put it in 1st to see if it would go forward, but had the same issue.

What could cause this? Tranny/clutch issue?

Now just a couple minutes ago, I started it up and it worked fine. Could it have just been the cold? It was like 30* out, not that cold. Weird.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Did the clutch feel like it was grabbing at all?

If so your rear drum brakes were probably frozen if you use your parking brake.

3. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

That's probably what it was. It just seems weird cause this is the first time that has happened and it has definitely been colder than in these last couple days.

4. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Was it sitting on ice?

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

If there is any moisture in the rear brakes and you push the parking break and let it sit the pads can freeze to the drum.

It happened to me once even here in FL. I just needed to push it harder and then snap it back a few times and it broke free. After that, whenever it was going to be a hard freeze I'd just leave it in 3rd gear.

6. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

If the clutch was any good, it would have stalled the engine (or snapped something) instead of revving up.

Or, if he has some moisture in the hydraulic clutch system, that could explain a lack of function. Fluid freezes, clutch no workie.

Fluid may be moisture-saturated, might need to flush that shit. :dunno: