94 Accord auto shifting problems

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jobe, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

OK so I have an automatic 1994 accord LX.

The car starts and runs fine but won't shift into gears all the time. It will just stay in neutral. If I put it in drive there is a chance that it will work and it will stay in the gear until it shifts (if it shifts into gear) and then it has a chance to just sit in neutral. If I turn the car off and back on it will sometimes go into gear and sometimes not. Turning it off and back on seems to help. Any suggestions? ECU? Anyway I can check if it's the ECU before I buy a new one? It has 120k miles.

2. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I'd suggest taking a look at all the wiring to the gearbox, as I believe that your ECU is sensing that you actually want it in Neutral although you have selected Drive. I believe there may be a fault with your wiring. If not, it would have to do with your ECU.

3. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

does it feel likes its in neutral or just slipping(car revs up first, then later moves)?

if its the 2nd one, your torque convertor is probably gone.

4. Chaosen1

Chaosen1 Now this is an import model

slipping of gears is common with that gen of accord, how many miles are on the car? they usually start slipping around 80k.

5. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

It has 120k miles. It doesnt seem to slip out. It will only fall out of gear when it shifts (if it gets into first I can leave it in low and it will drive until it tries to shift and then the problem may/may not occur again). If it was wiring would the problem happen all of the time? Also would turning the car on and off affect wiring? How would I go about checking wiring or the torque converter? Thanks for all of your help.

6. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I'd suggest going to a qualified automotive electrician to check things out if you don't know much about electrics.
    And yes, if there's a faulty wiring system then it will happen all the time. A rough example is a battery connected up to two wires to run a light like many people have done in school. If there's a fault with the wiring, then the light isn't going to work isn't it? Same with your situation.