94-96 Impala SS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by alexj187, Nov 17, 2004.

1. alexj187

alexj187 Sup?

Well after much saving, im ready to get the car ive always wanted, 94-96 Impala SS. Is there a certain year I should get? Ive read the Impala forums and have seen people say obd1> obd2 for modding, i dont plan on modding it much, maybe just exhaust and some gears. Anything i should look at when buying? How much is too much mileage for these cars? Owners please chime in, thanks :)

2. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

I've got a 96. If you dont plan on too many mods go for the 96 I say. Analog gauges,floor shift. I got mine in Feb of 03' with a 117,xxx miles on it. All original when I picked it up, no mods. If taken care of with what minimal maintenance they require they will last well thruogh 200,xxx+ miles.

Not that you want to get one with that high of mileage, but mine with a new opti,plugs,wires and mufflers pulled off a [email protected]

3. Fat_Nate

Fat_Nate Guest

Ive seen 96 Impalas running 12's at the local track there are two of them I havent looked inside them but next spring Im racing my 72 Monte Carlo there and will post to you then what they have in them.

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

96 had the floor shifter and the anologue gauges. It also had OBDII wich makes it harder to get away with mods, but it can be worked around. OBDII isn't as bad as people think, and you can program around it. OBDI is alot more mod friendly. Also with the 94-95 Impala, you can swap out the failure prone digital guages, for a set of guages from a 93-96 Z28. All of them are good years, and the LT1 is an incredibly durable engine when taken care of.

5. alexj187

alexj187 Sup?

:cool: Thanks for all the input. Lookin at the autotrader, theres a couple here with around 60k on the clock, so im gonna start calling places. Maintenance aint a problem, ive got a fox body with 160k on the clock thats running very well, maintained the engine religiously. :big grin: Thanks Again.

6. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

MPDC makes all good points. However, I've got a '96 and wouldn't buy any other year. The OBD2 doesn't bother me as it can be swapped to OBD1 easily if you're the "modding" kind of person. The guages aren't an issue as you can go to F-body gauges if you desire traditional analog gauges, but I like the stockers in my '96. NOT a fan of the 94-95 digital gauges at all...

My biggest beef with the eariler two years is the shifter. If we're going to consider the SS as a sports car (a big one, but it's still considered sporty :)), I like the floor shifter MUCH better. Yes, this can be changed as well, but the 96's have been known to be worth more and it isn't just because they are a year or two newer, either.

All years will respond to mods well. Full exhaust, intake, and a stall converter make this a completely different animal. Add a 100hp shot and you'll really have fun.

Any questions, feel free to PM me :).

'96 SS, KMC 20's, Clarion DVD, etc.

7. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

do the non floor shift models have a bench seat in the front or two buckets?

8. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

i'm going to have to say the 96 as well...

I've wanted to get one, but I'm afraid of high miles cars (not just the engines :hs: actual car itself) ... but if I found one with a blown engine that'd not stop me from swapping a 6 speed and another engine into it... :naughty:

9. MAD PUNK inDC

after owning all sorts of cars, including a 95 Z28, I've got to say my 96 Impala SS is my all time favorite, and I wouldn't even consider buying anything else for a daily driver for that type of money.

10. josedaniel

josedaniel New Member

BOATS
    Cop CArs
    LAME
    UGLY

11. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

yes they are
    yes
    IYO
    IYO

12. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

13. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

:ugh2:

Always loved that generation of Impala. Good luck with whichever you pick up!

Been racing against a 96 quite a bit out at the track... only modification is a Cold Air/Cone setup (not sure how it compares to a stock system exaclty, haven't been under the hood of a stock Imp.)...he managed to click off a number of mid-high 15s...running door to door with my chipped 4.6L Thunderbird (literally, door to door)

And obviously that motor can become quite potent.

:bigthumb:

14. MAD PUNK inDC

SHUT
    THE
    FUCK
    UP

get it?

15. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

Boat...sure comfy as hell
    Cop car = fun, hiding in an alley with parking lights on/or installing the wig wags onthe headlights and tailing your roomates and scaring the shit out of them.
    Lame? i think not, for a Boat as you would call. it that can keep up with if not beat the same year mustang GT's.
    Ugly...it has one of the meanest front ends i have ever seen on a car...It has attitude

16. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

not saying a whole lot :rofl:

but for a 4500lb car, they do move rather well.

and will go 13s NA with the right combination..

17. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I believe both have buckets.

18. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

oh and...

year-
    old
    virgin

19. ruffryda1122

ruffryda1122 Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the de

my girlfriend has a '96... its incredible

we can take a 1,000 road trip and have a great time, or fuck around on the streets like we were in my talon... very comfortable/versatile car

20. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1611968

A little shameless plug for my own BBB. If anyone is interested, I'm moving on to other things. Let me know if you're interested

21. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

We used to own a '96 as well and I would not get any other year for all the reasons mentioned above. Its just an all around better looking and feeling car than the 94-95.

22. Butz

Butz Guest

It could be weird but they are very popular here in SA.. I see them daily.. and every year a number off them is imported from America.. SA might have the biggest percentage of Impala SS's.. Kuwait has the largest percentage of Corvettes..

23. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

Butz,

I have NO problem selling this SS and shipping it to the mid-east. You find a buyer, I'll give you a few bucks for the sale :wavey:

24. Black98GPGT

Black98GPGT im back....

I used to have a 96 impala ss,most beatufil car ive ever owned...i regret gettin rid of it..