GUN 93R17 for me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My target budget is $300 or less, I want to buy my first rifle.
    It would be for range shooting, and learning on. Not much more.
    I wanted to stick with rimfire because the ammo is cheap.
    I also wanted a bolt-action because I think it's "cool" and, well...so far that's all I really know lol.

My first pick is this gun - http://www.impactguns.com/store/062654967030.html

I've seen a few people on here have one, opinions? Remember, it's my first rifle. I don't plan to go hunt deer with it or anything like that, jut targets right now.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I know pretty much nothing about firearms, and I'd more than likely be taking some local "gun safety" classes if I can find a place that offers them.

2. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Looks good, although I'd get a rifle that can shoot .22 rimfire as it is a lot cheaper.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Aiee, so many choices.

I do like cheap ammo, price wise not quality wise :)

.22 would be better for small game as well, right? Maybe later on I could get at some squirrels.
    Completely stock, considering quality and specs, which is better suited to go shoot OUT OF THE BOX? Considering I'm a beginner, I can't take it and then heavily modify it as soon as I get it. I liked how the Savage rifle had scope mounts (correct term?) that were ready to use...does the 10/22 also have them?

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

+1 for the 10/22. They have a black synthetic stock and black barrel combo that's sexy. Problem's going to be finding one that isn't wood.

Even though you'll probably switch the stock out anyways :rofl:

6. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

go 10/22

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'll sell you mine :o

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I think I'd like to stick with buying one local, hopefully if I have a problem I can take it back to the shop and get some help.

What do they go for new?

I just ran across a place called "Rhineland Arms" in Lewisville, Texas that seems to specialize in .22 rifles. Apparently they are pretty popular. Lucky for me, I live in Lewisville....but where are they? There site is down.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Rhineland Arms
    PMB #484
    1301 W. FM 407, Suite 201
    Lewisville, TX, 75077

Mine has no problems, fwiw. :o

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Ah, thanks. I couldn't get it to work for some reason.

I guess I'll run up there and see if they sell guns or just customize them? I was looking at some really cool conversions they did, or modifications, w/e you call it.

11. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

ide go for a .22 also, the .17hmr is an odd round that is not good for hunting if you ever want to get into that...

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You just have to go for head shots.....I didn't eat this one, but I didn't take pics of the one that was staring at me when I shot and had nothing left of his head except ears:rofl:

[​IMG]

Also, it depends on the round. They make more than just the ballistic tips...though they are the most fun.

13. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

lol @ just the ears left!

i suppose it's ok if your a decent shot, and your not planning on eating it :dunno:

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I joined perfectunion.com forums because they have a lot of info on the 10/22. I think 2 local shops stock them so I'm going out as soon as I get my paycheck to handle one.

Thanks for pointing me to a rifle guys, I feel pretty good on this one seeing how so many people recommend it and it's so popular.

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well I just got back from the store. Went with a K10/22RPF. I wasn't too keen on the "hollow" feel of the stock compared to the wood one, but I liked the stainless and it seemed lighter in my arms.

Paid way too much, which I may regret come the end of the month when I run out of money (lol) but no big deal. Also got 500 rounds for high velocity ammo (didn't need), scope rings, a scope, a soft carrying case, and I think that's it. They bore sighted it for me at the store, he said it should be good to shoot at 100 yards with no adjustments.

I will definetly be modifying it, but not right at first. I want to get a decent amount of ammo through it before I start toying around with new stocks and mods.

Pics tonight, I left my cable at home so I can't transfer pics :(

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Few shitty cell phone pics to hold you over :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have the factory safety thing on now, since it's just sitting in the case.

Just dipped my toes in the aftermarket and I'm already bouncing in my computer chair with excitement. So many awesome things you can do to the 10/22. I'm glad you guys recommended it!

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

19. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol, I want to buy it all! It has to wait for the next paycheck though, I'm already over my spending limit this month...actually to be honest I went into the next couple of month's with this purchase but I won't dwell on that too much :p

I have to break this to my parent's somehow, they are kind of "anti-gun" :rolleyes::mamoru:

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Let them shoot it.

Seriously though, I bought the ultimate back from them and it made it a whole new gun.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Take it out before you start modding it, see what you like and what you don't like (trigger, barrel, scope, that stuff)

Take your parents out, my mom and dad used to be super anti-gun but whenever I come to visit my dad always wants to shoot my 10/22 with me.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'm trying to get a hold of a guy I used to work with. He has a big gun collection and he is at the range almost every weekend, that's all he would talk about. I never had a gun so I didn't feel like going along and bugging him. Now that I have one...he won't answer his phone!

Do you think 500rds will give me a decent first experience? I heard it's better to break in a new gun with high velocity ammo so now I'm kind of glad I bought it.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

500 rounds should be fine. You'll get tired loading your mags before you get tired shooting it though. I remember when I got my first .22, I went through a box of 500 with a single shot bolt action :o

I wouldn't worry about "breaking in" your barrel. I really doubt it will make a difference in accuracy or whatever if you start out shooting a certain type of ammo.

Also, most .22 ammo is considered high velocity, You generally see High velocity or Subsonic or super high velocity.

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Oh, well they had 20 grain and 37 grain so I got the 37. I told the dude I was only going to be shooting 25-100 yards out 99% of the time and he said it didn't really matter what I bought they would both perform well, the high velocity stuff jsut hits harder. Next time out I'm getting cheaper stuff lol

25. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

And better pics...kind of. The magazine it came with was clear which was kind of weird. I got that out and the bolt locked while it's just sitting in the case. I'm not liking that factory safety at all, even though it works. I'm afraid it will scratch up the finish on the bolt side. Might invest in one of those trigger safety's instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, my photo taking skills blow.