'93 Rx-7 or '99 Cobra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyeLou, Jul 8, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm posting this in Eastern Imports, too, so both sides get to answer. I'm looking into a new car and I'm considering both. I want something reliable, which makes me lean towards the Cobra, but I want something different, which would be the Rx-7. The Rx-7 is more or less stock. New engine and transmission within 10k miles, body has right around 100k on it. The guy seems to take great care of it. He's selling it because he said he got a 911 and he has been driving that way more than he expected. The Cobra is a '99 with 327RWHP. The mod's were done professionally and very well done at that. 63k miles. I would have to drive both of these cars through the winter (which I'm not overly concerned about) and they would need to be my daily driver. Opinions?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  2. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Replied in Eastern thread.

3. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Drag racing? Cobra

Full driving experience? RX-7

Either way you want to go, its no contest. Both excel for what they were designed to do and its just up to you and what you want to do.

4. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

99 cobras suck. 99-01 cobras were the epitimy of the cobra's

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Unless you're saying all Cobra's suck, what you said makes no sense. I'm just worried about the Rx-7 being a reliable car.

6. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Just keep the engine maintained and get an oil cooler. RX7s have a bad reputation but most often from lazy people who don't know about or won't do jack squat about maintaining their car.

Just check out some RX7 boards and learn from the people who own them.

7. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

no i ment go with a 93-98 or an 03-04

the 99-01 cobra's had some problems with being underpowered and shit. hence there was no 02 cobra

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

There was no '02 Cobra because they redid everything for the supercharged version of '03 and '04. The '99 and '01 version are both faster stock vs. stock than any previous version (except possibly the '98 which is more or less the same). The '99's had a problem with making the right amount of power from the factory, but it was taken care of by a voluntary recall that bumped the cars back up to the 270hp they needed to be at. The only complaint someone could have, that I can see, would be in the IRS and the fact it seems to make weird noises, which is usually typical of Ford's anyhow.

9. '99 Cobras suck? the only Cobra that didn't really live up to what it was supposed to do was the '93 Cobra... I personally like the '99-'01 cobras and so must ford to put their drivetrain into the Mach 1

10. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

I believe the 99 Cobras had some intake and tuning blunders. RyeLou is right there were service bulletins for it. BUT, even with the mistakes from the factory it still makes over 300hp.

11. Los

Los Active Member

Kinda but not quite. I'm pretty sure they went with the sc model after a few tests. I had heard of another 5.4 variant, but not quite as powerful as the 2000 R. The 98 and 99 are two very different cars style-wise and drivetrain wise. 99 introduced the first gen IRS and they went with some different styled setup with the intake (where as the 96-98 had a thing where only 16 of the 32 ports for the intake would open up until a certain RPM), the 99+ were open at all times. The hp rating might be slight at best, from 305 to 320 but the mph and 1/4 times prove the story a little better.

I think the best a 98 Cobra ever did was a high 13 (13.7 @ 101) vs a 13.3 from MM&FF (yeah, magazine quote). A stock one I was at Houston only did a 14.2 to my 14.05 but most of the times, Cobra drivers can't drive worth a fuck. Great road cars though.

Ford mentioned that the problem was how the intake was made (with the 99), that there was a piece that wasn't polished right or something. Anyway, several Ford mechanics who worked on the recalls said they replaced the heads and intake.

Of course, I can't see why anyone would compare a 93 Cobra to a 99. Very different motors for very different times. Personally I'd take a 4.6 DOHC over a 5.0 anyday but you can't deny the prowress of the 5.0, stock or not.