'93 Rx-7 or '99 Cobra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyeLou, Jul 8, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm posting this in American Muscle, too, so both sides get to answer. I'm looking into a new car and I'm considering both. I want something reliable, which makes me lean towards the Cobra, but I want something different, which would be the Rx-7. The Rx-7 is more or less stock. New engine and transmission within 10k miles, body has right around 100k on it. The guy seems to take great care of it. He's selling it because he said he got a 911 and he has been driving that way more than he expected. The Cobra is a '99 with 327RWHP. The mod's were done professionally and very well done at that. 63k miles. I would have to drive both of these cars through the winter (which I'm not overly concerned about) and they would need to be my daily driver. Opinions?

'93 Rx-7 or '99 Cobra

2. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

If the RX-7 has a new trannt and engine, then I would lean towards that. RX-7 owners/fanatics can chime in here, I might be wrong. Reliabilty issues tend to go with the stock engine. There is a seal that tends to go bad around 75k. So if thats been replaced with the new engine, one less thing for you to worry about.

As for the Cobra, it would be the only Ford I would drive (minus their trucks).

Tough choice.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

It's a stock engine still, just a new one. Here are links to each of the cars. The Cobra link doesn't have pictures because Autotrader screwed up and took down the ad and didn't put the pictures back up, but the body is in great condition.

Rx-7 (<-- click)

Cobra (<-- click)

4. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

upgrade the RX7 so it doesnt cook itself, and you'll have a winner :)

im partial to the RX7 since they're not too common, clean ones atleast

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What upgrades are you talking about? I'm looking into buying either of those cars but spending maybe another $1,500 on whatever for them. I figured I would get some wheels/tires for the Cobra. Then for the Rx-7 I heard you should upgrade the ECU because the stock one does more harm than good, but what else? Which ECU is best? I don't know how much more I would want to spend on the Rx-7 since it's already more money to start with.

6. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

well the RX7 rotary is notorious for overheating.

I would upgrade all cooling.

What exactly has the owner replaced already?

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't know much more than what it says on Autotrader. Engine, trans, turbos, AST, shocks, exhaust, boost gauge and tires.

8. Smoknjimer

Smoknjimer MQT crew leader OT Supporter

I would go with the Rx7 since its got the new motor and trans.

9. neotheanomoly

neotheanomoly New Member

i'd go with the cobra, but that is only because i'd want a v8 muscle

10. episime

episime OT Supporter

RX-7, because they're so unbelievably sexy, and they're quick and reliable if taken care of.

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

If it was an 03 cobra I would have said go for that. But I think the rx7 is better if it is well maintained. I just love the interior on them unlike the cobra, the handling is plus too.

12. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

Go for the RX-7 but talk that price down a few thousand

edit-- I got my 93 with 68k and brand new engine and trans for $13,100

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Fast is fast no matter how you get there.

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Yeah I'm thinking the price is a bit high on the car. I would test drive both cars, but unless the price came down on the Rx-7 I don't think I could justify spending that extra money. It would make me nervous anyhow being my first turbo car and a rotory at that. Hmm....

15. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Turbo cars are great. The slow turbo lag is a thing of the past so don't worry about that. Also, maintenence is the key. Check out the RX7 rotary owners websites and talk to actual owners. I've seen 700hp+ FDs but I didn't have to live with them on a day to day basis.

16. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

if you know how to maintain it and if you got the $ to support it, rx-7 > *

17. finalflash

finalflash New Member

www.ausrotary.com

has a lot of good info on rotaries in general
    i am looking at a rx7 as well i have driven them and have freinds that own the FD
    let me say that all the reliability issues you hear are crap.... the rotor is a reliable engine when treated with respect like all engines.. it can make some serious power with not much money thrown at it..
    the main thing i would ask you is there anyone in your area knows how to work on rotors as i have heard that americans are not very cluey when it comes to rotors..
    In australia we are fortunate to have a LOT of rotor tuning houses.. that work magic with the 13B enigne..
    go for the rx7.. u wont regret it.. but make sure u warm it up/cool it down and service it regularly!!

18. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Besides the local Mazda dealership, there are various places around here that import cars from all over that, I believe, also service them as well. I can't imagine at least one of them having some know-how about the cars. It is certainly something I would look into before buying.

19. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Look at it this way, the Cobra is modded therefore you know it's probably been beaten the fuck up.

20. attomica

attomica Active Member

The Wankel is a terrific powerplant. My FC got to 175,000 on the stock engine before some cunt with no insurance totalled it. However, not many mechanics know them well enough to actually work on them. I've heard horror stories of an owner taking his car in for service and the mechanic really screwing things up. Make sure you can locate a proficient rotary mechanic before you commit to the RX-7. Or, dedicate yourself to learning how to fix it yourself, which can actually be done with the advice of the RX-7 forums out there, assuming you have some mechanical aptitude.

The RX-7 is a demanding car. You can't just drive it and change the oil periodically. You have to be in touch with the car and understand it's feedback. The reward for all that, of course, is awe-inspiring performance and true uniquity.

21. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

i went to the mazda dealership with a friends 88 turbo 2 and they asked how many cylinders it had

22. finalflash

finalflash New Member

oh and driving a FD rx7 can be one of the most glorious experiences ever..
    the chassis, handling and balance of the car as well as the ability of the rotor to rev and pull from any gear is unmatched as a total package by any japanese car...
    and that includes the GTR and the Supra..

i dont know much about the cobra so i cant say nything there

23. Roswell

Roswell OT Supporter

As a kid, I remember dreaming of owning an RX-7. But now, if I was in your shoes with this decision, I would go with the Cobra. 99 vs 93 is a big factor and so is the V8 vs rotary. I like my cars care free so a rotary engine is probably not the best choice.

24. Cobra hands down

25. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

HELL NO, dont get an RX7!!!!! I love the rx7, IMO it is damn near the best sports car ever made. If you dont already know and have to ask then you are not ready for the rx7. If you have to ask, then eventually do go through with buying it you will do nothing but bitch about the tough maintanence, the expensive aftermarket, and everything else that may require some extra effort on your part to keep the car happy. You have to treat the rx7 with alot more care and respect than what the average shit box will put up with. Ignore the smallest problem and it will baloon up to your worst fear in no time.