'93 Ram?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jihaad Mujahid, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jihaad Mujahid

Jihaad Mujahid New Member

I'm looking into getting a 1993 Dodge Ram 1500. It 2WD. It has the 318 5.2L V8. I went and looked at it a few days ago and drove it around the block, I was pressed on time so I didn't inspect it 100%. I can't remember how many miles it has on it. The steering had a good amount of play. The guy said sometimes when you take your foot off the gas quickly the truck might stall but it will start right back up. The O2 sensor is fucked up I guess, he said it runs great in the summer and shitty in the winter. I don't have any pictures of it but I will get some in the next few days. Its like a primer gray color. He wants $800 for it. What should I look for when I go look at it again? Should I even consider this truck? How are these motors, my buddy said they should last a good while. How difficult is it to fix or disconnect the O2 sensor? Any other info or advice would be appreciated.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would recommend another vehicle. You could get a chevy for same ballpark price and it would be a much better truck.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I tend to agree. Hard to beat Chevy/GMC in the fullsize pickup department.

4. Jihaad Mujahid

I am a GM guy but for $800 its kinda hard to pass up. I'm not going to have this car for a long time, until next summer tops and then I am getting my aunt's 2001 Impala for 2k. Anyways, my buddy was talking about buying it off me in about a year of it doesn't take a shit on me before then.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I still wouldn't.

You can almost guarantee that dodge has a fucked up tranny (if auto). Plus the multitude of other problems that he admits it has. Not a good buy.

6. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

solid motor though, the 318 runs like a champ. we had one with over 380k miles on it w/ no rebuild or anything. just changed wires/plugs and da oil :big grin:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

motor is solid, sure... but it's also fairly worthless if it can't get the power to the ground. Also 9mpg is nothing to smile about.

8. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

thats my biggest turn off right now. the wranglers nice, but when i get back stateside its going to be the bike for me on my way to work:squint:

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

seems to me like too many problems to justify.

possible bad tranny (most likely with old dodge truck)
    +
    crap gas mileage
    +
    already known problems

= a few thousand more dollars out of your pocket before you sell it to your friend.

10. Jihaad Mujahid

Well, I went and looked at it and I decided against it. I think I'm going to look at dealers and small local dealers for a nice used Sierra or something similar.

11. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

probably a good choice. even if you do pay a little more, you will get a more solid truck with less worries.

12. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

:werd:

while the dodge i owned was a nice truck, i know people who had shitty ones.

a dealer truck might even have a warrenty, and today, thats sweet! mechanics are damned expensive for the major 'cant do it yourself items' :noes: