'93 Mustang

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CraneTruk, Feb 1, 2004.

1. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

'93 - 5 Speed. Pretty well stock, put a BBK intake in, I've only had it for a month. Got some 3.55 gears and headers lying around to throw on it. Havent decided if I wanna build another engine outside the car or do the top end on the current one.

Does anyone here have expierence with the NOS cheater systems on a stock engine? Lookin for a cheap addition till I decide what I'm gunna do.

[​IMG]

2. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Slap a 150 shot on it till you decide. Since its cold I do a little home porting to the stock heads to.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Forget the 3.55 gears. Go with at LEAST 3.73s if you're going to change.
    Be careful with the nitrous. I think the 93's had hypereutectic pistons, not forged like earlier years.

4. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

the 93 is hyper pistons.. i wouldnt recommend the shot on the stock pistons.. i rebuilt my 88' top end with a new h/c/i setup (150k) miles and she runs strong as hell still and i have no problems

5. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

Yeah, it had new paint 6 months ago, but the bra has already done its damage and theres some pretty ugly spots underneith it. I was lookin at a Performer RPM 2 intake anyways so I'll need a new hood for that if I go that route. Thanks for the info guys, I'll stay away from the nitrous for now.

6. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

do the gears, offroad h or x pipe, cat back and possibly intake manifold.

prob cost you somewhere in the $700 range for all, but will be a decent addition

7. txgti

txgti OT Supporter

Build the motor outside of the car. Keep your stock motor to throw in if the good motor breaks.

Don't go over a 100 shot. I'd probably go no more than 75 to be honest.

Find someone to buy my Cobra for me.

htp://www.corndesigns.com/cobra

8. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Blah blah blah Hypers arent bad IF you tune it right. They just dont take detonation as well as the other years. Don't go over a 100 shot?? Yea okay I and I know many others that shoot 150-200 on there H/C/I cars and all the way to stock heads,blah, blah. Upgrade the fuel pump and get a few other items and your golden. What kind of a "good" motor do you plan on building? A dart block or a R block are the only ways to go. IMO theres no point of throwing a expensive rotating assembly in a inferior block. If you wanna play you gotta pay. As for the gears I would do 3:73 or 4:10 I myself wouldn’t go anything less then a 4:10 in a 5speed car unless it has a SC or a turbo on it.

9. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

I wasnt planning anything more then a 75 shot anyways. I drive it everyday to work. I just want some go when I feel like it. I've always owned a Chev, and never built an entire engine from scratch. Had a lot of trucks I've done the top ends to, on 350s. So I really havent planned much, and dont even think I'd start looking for a block for a while.

10. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

Honestly, the first thing Id do to it is a 130 amp alternator. Then a pro 5.0 shifter, full exhasut, plug wires, full tune-up, subframes, springs, etc.

I have an '89 w/ every bolt-on minus heads and while it may not be as fast as my '95 was, its clean, rides smooth, handles well, looks nice and sounds awesome.

11. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

i like the Tri-Ax more than the pro 5.0

but yes the alternators are shit, he may not need a full tuneup just yet.

just work on exhaust for now

12. Los

Los Active Member

93 and up had crapic pistons. You're alright with a hundred shot but don't push it.

Go with 3.73s, pro 5.0 and some flows.

13. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I agree with this completely. While a stock 5.0 doesn't have the power level of an '03 Cobra, it's still pretty decent. I'd address the shifter and suspension before doing any engine mods.

I also think that 3.73-4.10s are total overkill for a 5-speed street car. If you plan to drag race your car all the time, then the ultra low gears are worth it. If you want a daily driver, 3.55s will do you fine and won't kill your highway RPMs. I've got 3.55s in my '90 LX and am more than happy. It's geared low enough to have power down low, but not so low that i have to shift out of first at 15mph. Hell, even with 3.55s i can take off in second gear most of the time with no problem at all.

14. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

I got the 3.55s already from my buddy for dirt cheap, so those are going in. It is my daily driver. The syncros are gone (its like driving my work truck), so I'd like to get those done and then get something like the ripper shifter or pro shifter, something with adjustable stops to save my syncros and shit after I get the tranny rebuilt. It doesnt have stock mufflers in it right now, but they arent anything near flow masters or anything of that calibur. I just wanna give the car a bit of a poke in the ass to wake it up a bit.

There is also an exhaust leak, sounds exactly like a manifold gasket, but I think it just may be between the H pipe and header as well, I havent looked or felt around yet. If its the header gasket I'll probably throw a set of Hedmans on there, why not while I'm at it.

It already goes plently fast, I just want a bit more kick. Plus I'm getting a new bike in the summer to sooth the urge.

15. fhpchris

fhpchris Guest

3.55s are just fine.... I run 28 inch tall tires and 3.55s.

Buy a Tremec 3350 or TKO. Stock T-5s just suck.

If you only want a bit more kick, 3.55s and headers/h-pipe/flows and a throttle body and mass air will be fine for you.

I'm assuming the car already has all the freebies, and the 130 amp alt. is a good idea.

if you want something to focus on other than power, BRAKES!, BRAKES!, BRAKES!.

16. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

you dont need a 3550 or a tko if your gonna keep it basically stock...

17. fhpchris

fhpchris Guest

A stock headed 5.0 can break a Stock T5 if you drive it hard.

I Did.

18. bigfoot18

bigfoot18 Guest

I would get the 3.55 for now. although i kinda like 3.73 better but it is of course up too you. it is your car. I would not really go with nitrious fora daily. you usually only get to mess up once with a shot. offroad h pipe flows or equal mufflers mass air flow and maybe a turned up fuel pump should do fine for now. you can always add little things down the road.

19. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

thats because you drove it too hard.

it has its limits.

20. fhpchris

fhpchris Guest

Isn't that just what I said?

If the car will see slicks/ or abusive driving I would recommend a 3550.

Why deal with a T-5? It is not really worth swappng until you have to, but do not live in your own little world where you think you need a very powerful street car to break one of these things.

[​IMG]

That is a clear and simple parts failure. :ugh2:

If you want to deal with this fine by me... I will not accept it. There is a reason the Tremec 3550 was used the in the 95 Cobra 'R'.

[​IMG]

Again this is all about what you want/need to do, and your budget.

Someone wants him to spend 2000$ on a Dart block ,but you want him to retain a stock T-5? Hello? I am saying that he can break a T-5 with What he has NOW.

Let's Recap
    1)Any thing he does, to the point of simple boltons will make this process faster.
    2)Any strong clutch will make this process faster.
    3)Anything that gives him more traction will make this process faster.
    4)Lack of a metal clutch quadrant makes this worse, but a stock plastic quadrant should break before the transmission does.

Do you get the idea yet? This guy is talking about adding a set of heads or nitrous injection. That is serious stuff. You will break the T-5 at that power level, it is a matter of time. Re-read #1-4 above.

Power+Strong clutch+slicks(or large/sticky street tires, eg: 275/60/15s or Drag radials)
    == Broken!

For the record:

Before my long tubes, I dynoed 237.5 RWHP/ 282 RWTQ.

21. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

I'm in the process of saving for a 3550 :bigthumb:

22. fhpchris

fhpchris Guest

Good Decision! :bigthumb: :cool:

23. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

Buy some Aftermarket Wheels for it,

24. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

Don't worry about hitting the car with a 100 shot of spray, I would only use a dry nos kit. The hypereutectic pistons are fine unless the car detonates, then you'll hurt them. If you use the stage 2 dry kit form nos it comes with an supplemental pump. The 3:73's are a nice all around gear and still highway friendly.

25. proxses

proxses Guest

fhpchris,
    In the pic of the T-5 above, what exactly is broken. I have trashed a couple of T-5's, but I don't see anything broken.
    What actually broke?

And there is always the Gforce T-5, if you don't want to buy a new shifter and bellhousing.