92 Firebird starting troubles

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by soundmaster2.0, May 4, 2007.

1. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

I have a pos 92 firebird V6 and basically when I go to start the car from just sitting there it wont start, all I get is the click. After a few turns of the key it will finally turn over but I have to keep the key turned for a while to get it to start. It also seems that if I put the key in the run position and leave it there for a few seconds then turn the key it will start right up.

I have no idea what is causing this, I have a small leak in the gasket on my egr valve and a small vacuum leak behind my heat and ac controls, but I don't think they would cause this.

Any ideas?:x:

2. sounds like starter soleniod. Next time it happens (and Im serious) try hitting the starter with a hammer. If that fixes it then it is the soleniod. Replace starter.

3. cudakid69

cudakid69 New Member

I would agree, and hitting it with a hammer is usually the best method

4. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Got the same problems out of my [non-American foreign-made vehicle]. Your starter's a done deal. Get it replaced.

5. cudakid69

cudakid69 New Member

This is why you dont jump to conclusions, try the simple and cheaper things first, like hitting the solenoid with a hammer. If that doesnt work, then move on to the more expensive things. I wouldnt just start swaping out parts like that before I was sure what the problem is...